. .
    hi, a mate of mine has a boxford 190 vmc milling machine for sale, its running on mach3 and is in good condition. hes thinking of selling and would like to know what sort of price do these sale for. I have had a look around on the net but most ads are way out of date. thanks. Michael
    ps. I have know interest in this machine at all and just trying to help someone whos not on the net

2. Well I can only say what my experience is. I paid £1086 for a very clean 1998 build one that was sold on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxford-19...vip=true&rt=nc

It possible I overpaid, there was a lot of interest and apparently people were contacting the seller afterwards saying "If the high bidder does not collect then I'll match his bid".

There have been VMC190's on Ebay with Mach3 conversions and they seem to be offered around the £1600 to £2600 mark. As both of those have now gone I suspect that is about right. My guess would be that the critical thing that makes the difference between £1600 and £2600 is the quality of the Mach3 conversion. In theory you could get a three axis stepper driver with a a parallel port drive and put a 10k pot on the spindle motor and call it a mach3 conversion. Or you can use a USB controller card and connect all the Slotted home switches, put GeckoDrive stepper drives in make a 0-10v controller for the spindle and a reversing relay, put 3 MPG's on the front etc and that's a £2600 conversion.

Justin

If you put Gecko drives in it that will reduce a £2600 conversion to a £1200 one.
    These things are totally obsolete, they were designed in the early part of 2000 and have not been improved or updated at all. That's 17 year old technology.
    There is a running thread on "Current Favourite steppers drivers " where the AM882's are compared to the EM806's where both of these drives are digital but the Gecko's are still in the analog era well behind even the old M752's
    John S -

Lives in Congleton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2020 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 10. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by terry1956 View Post
    hi, a mate of mine has a boxford 190 vmc milling machine for sale, its running on mach3 and is in good condition. hes thinking of selling and would like to know what sort of price do these sale for. I have had a look around on the net but most ads are way out of date. thanks. Michael
    ps. I have know interest in this machine at all and just trying to help someone whos not on the net
    Does he still have the machine? I am looking at purchasing one and dont have the time to perform the mach3 upgrade

Thread Information