. .
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Yep, didnt get any response. No problem.

The STLs you provided were out of scale too, they dont translate to workable CAD parts. They can be converted but Fusion refused. Its better (for future) to export to something other than STL if possible (Step / IGES etc).
    Yea all the people sending me messages said that.
    Though they print fine on my 3D printer exporting that way..??

[edit]
    Whats with the off center ring on these collect nuts btw?
    I have seen it on both this new ball bearing one and my current one shipped with the machine.

Last edited by JOGARA; 24-11-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    [edit]
    I have seen it on both this new ball bearing one and my current one shipped with the machine.
    That is to hold the collet in place. You have to wiggle the collet in there. I take it you have been doing this, as this might have been your problem.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOGARA View Post
    Yea all the people sending me messages said that.
    Though they print fine on my 3D printer exporting that way..??

[edit]

I suspect its the way that our CAD systems are 'interpreting' the STL. I know there are some attributes that you can change when you import but not knowing the 'source', we may not know these and this means that the outputted assumption is wrong.

The fact that I wasnt the only person that said this means that there is something not 100%.

What do you use the make the STL?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    That is to hold the collet in place. You have to wiggle the collet in there. I take it you have been doing this, as this might have been your problem.
    It's actually to extract the collet from the holder. If you don't clip the collet past the offset lip, then the nut doesn't pull the collet back out when slackened, which can leave you with quite a big headache. Off course not clipping it in also causes uneven clamping, which can lead to excess runout and things not being as secure as they could be...
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It's actually to extract the collet from the holder. If you don't clip the collet past the offset lip, then the nut doesn't pull the collet back out when slackened, which can leave you with quite a big headache. Off course not clipping it in also causes uneven clamping, which can lead to excess runout and things not being as secure as they could be...
    Of course you are correct My bad.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I suspect its the way that our CAD systems are 'interpreting' the STL. I know there are some attributes that you can change when you import but not knowing the 'source', we may not know these and this means that the outputted assumption is wrong.

The fact that I wasnt the only person that said this means that there is something not 100%.

What do you use the make the STL?
    Exporting straight fro Fusion360 by right clicking my part and selecting "save as STL"

But why is it offset?
    Wouldn't it also add vibration to the machine?
    Last edited by JOGARA; 24-11-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    But why is it offset?
    It's offset so you can get the collet in/out easily.
    If it wasn't offset, you'd not be able to get the collet in/out easily, or you risk the collet popping out the nut when trying to remove the nut/cullet from the chuck.

Balanced nuts are available, if balance is an issue.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Trying to reduce the force that is pulling down the bit.

The thing I changed when it started to happen was that I went from 1mm DOC to 1.5mm DOC.
    So I am changing that back (sadly the 1.5mm DOC halfs my machine time which is why I want it).

Wondering if the helix is also too much? It sounds nasty when it does it but that could be down to the machine rigidity?

I am tempted to grab a 8mm carbide drill bit and use that to get as far down as possible and use that hole as the "pre drill position"
    Last edited by JOGARA; 27-11-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Exporting straight fro Fusion360 by right clicking my part and selecting "save as STL"

But why is it offset?
    Not sure. Perhaps rather saving it as Fusion3D or similar.

Where can I get some oil or whatever to aid with cooling.

Reddit users said my setup for cooling was a bit shit and I have to agree. It is something I have not really looked at improving yet.
    They also said my speeds and feeds were wrong for my 6mm roughing bit.

Apparently 12k is wayyyyyy to fast for my feed of 360mm so I am going to try in a bit with 6K and speeding up the feed slowly.

These two things will help resolve my issue.

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread Information