. .
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Dam this thing is large. What have I done... xD

[edit]

My bed is out by 0.5mm in some places :/

I have worked out how I am going to do it. Ill remove the old vice and center this one and get it all nice and level.
    To hold my parts, as the top of the vice is so high up, I can just cheap and use a big sab of 15mm as my part spoil 'board' to mount it on like before, but it will sit deeper into the vice with 40-50mm either side of it to prevent the spindle crshing into it.
    Last edited by JOGARA; 26-01-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOGARA View Post
    Dam this thing is large. What have I done... xD
    Maybe puts into perspective how feeble the OMIO is in real terms and what you're wanting to make it do

Seriously, put some thought into a dedicated fixture and maybe save yourself a few hundred quid in the process. That big hefty unit is a firm sledgehammer to crack a walnut sort of job.

Plate done and vice mounted.

Yes, I could do with larger OD washers. These were all that Screwfix had and the Fixings store I normally go to is now miles away as we moved. That and he closes early xD
    The M8 extrustion T-nuts from RS are fine. The bolt is hard to start threading into them but once you have it they really do help.
    I think the M6 would have been a bit to small as that would have meant smaller washer too. These things are not going to move.

Z is 0.2mm high at one side of the vice on the Y-axis. X-axis there is no difference.
    The Y-axis measurement was taken 350mm from the back of the vice to the front. Most of my parts are sub 100mm so that should be more than fine?

The vice is square or within measurable tolerance with the probe and dial indicator.

It also looks dank af... I get points for that no?
    Last edited by JOGARA; 27-01-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 57 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Z is 0.2mm high at one side of the vice on the Y-axis. X-axis there is no difference.
    You could shim the vice level
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Dam it. I forgot that I have an operation where I need to stand the 105mm tall part on its end to mill out connector holes...

I do have a tiny vice that I could use for this. Might be able to fit it in behind the new vice, will be hard to reach but really is it my only option :/

Great way to firm up the 6040 bed. . . . . . .Replace virtually the entire bed with an enormous vice!

I think it looks good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGuid For This Useful Post:

How true is AW's "flat bar" stock?

Like do I need to order the size up of what I want to make it true over 150-200mm lenth of cut?

Best to buy bigger stock, hold on a few mm and do as much as you can on the first op then turn over and take the back off. The flat Ali bar won't be square so will cause more problems later if you don't square it up. Don't buy from aw either find a big metal supplier like smiths metal centres, it will work out a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgates1000 View Post
    Best to buy bigger stock, hold on a few mm and do as much as you can on the first op then turn over and take the back off. The flat Ali bar won't be square so will cause more problems later if you don't square it up. Don't buy from aw either find a big metal supplier like smiths metal centres, it will work out a lot cheaper.
    The stuff I was looing at would allow 5mm to be shaved off each side actually (made my part smaller).
    Ill contact a few local companies. I have been using AW just for ease. But I have spent nearly £200 this past week which probably would have been a lot less locally xD

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread Information