. .
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    I wouldn't use carbide bits on a drill press, particularly not that small. Your chuck likely has a fair bit of runout and carbide will snap in it like a digestive biscuit.
    Good point.

Not having much luck today.
    1 HSS and 1 Carbide down so far and I have only been in the shop for a couple hours -_-

Gives me an excuse to buy some more bits.
    Grabbed a 1.2mm for my M1.6 tapped holes (probably swap for 0.3mm as M1.6 holes are meant to be tapped at 1.25mm not 1.2mm).
    Also got a 2.5mm for my M3 tapped holes and a spot drill.
    Last edited by JOGARA; 26-10-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Not sure what is going on here.

I have not used the machine in a few days, like 5-7 days.
    When I go to home all the axis the Z does not stop when it hits the end stop.

Forgot how I fixed it last time it did this about 1.5 weeks ago.

Also, sometimes when I set my part offsets and then tell it to go to the part's zero, the Z will go about 5-10mm below the set Z. I then tell it to go to zero again and it lifts Z to the correct height.

[edit]
    Why is it also normally open? Would have thought NC would be safer?

[edit2]
    Gone into diagnostics and all but the Z axis limit switches are working.
    The switch its self is working so guessing cable problem.

[edit]
    Yea it is cable..
    Last edited by JOGARA; 04-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.

I have the same thing with the go to zero command, always goes to Z-5, I just don't use it and use g0 x0 y0 if I ever need to go there for any reason. Keep meaning to look in to it but always forget.

Having some trouble with Fusion and I have no idea what is going wrong.

For some reason my heights are all over the place and is taking away too much stock on the Z.

Here is part of my case, in RED is what it is meant to be, and in BLUE is what I am getting (using my cheap caliper but it is pretty close to accurate).

I am using 3D adaptive clearing for the inside of the case, I set the bottom of the operation on the face of my part at the bottom. This is 2.5mm above the bottom of the stock (I have just switched to +2.5mm bottom stock instead of face selection). I then have another 3D adaptive to clear out the holes at the bottom of the case (I do this because I leave stock and then clean it up using a 3mm carbide).

Both operations are the same, just different heights and stock to leave.

(All my heights are .0mm or .5mm I don't have any heights that are .1mm other than telling it to go 0.2mm lower than the stock bottom for clearance reasons later in the setup)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JOGARA; 12-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.

There are so many things that could be causing this.

Are all those top surfaces cut by the same tool in the same set up? I can't see how you're cutting 1.7mm too deep from the side wall to the pocket surface, but then the pocket surface is only 1mm deeper than it should be compared to the bottom surface so I think this is a set up error. If you're sure you're setting your Z height accurately, its probably an error in the heights or stock to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    There are so many things that could be causing this.

Are all those top surfaces cut by the same tool in the same set up? I can't see how you're cutting 1.7mm too deep from the side wall to the pocket surface, but then the pocket surface is only 1mm deeper than it should be compared to the bottom surface so I think this is a set up error. If you're sure you're setting your Z height accurately, its probably an error in the heights or stock to leave.
    There is no stock to leave. Z height is all the same for all the operations.
    I am using the 6mm roughing bit for most of the milling on this part. It does all the surfaces too.

I just ran the operation again but specificity all the heights manually from stock bottom and now it is just 0.3mm out.

The towers are all the correct height which is okay. But the bottom being so far down means my PCBs don't sit and the part that sits in the curved section is not being clamped down, it is just lose as there is 0.6mm too much Z.

This is definitely something in my Fusion operation.

I do have the minimum Z DOC at 0.5, so why it is cutting down at something not divisible to that, idk..

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Is your Z axis calibrated correctly, and not gaining/loosing steps?
    I'd double check the calibration, then mark the z-shaft, create a program that runs the Z up/down a hundred or so times, and check it's returning to the same mark.

If that reveals nothing, try modelling and machining a simple stepped block, to see if it's a fusion or machine problem.
    While machining pay attention to where the mark on the shaft is at a known position, then return to that position at the end to see if anything has moved.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Is your Z axis calibrated correctly, and not gaining/loosing steps?
    I'd double check the calibration, then mark the z-shaft, create a program that runs the Z up/down a hundred or so times, and check it's returning to the same mark.

If that reveals nothing, try modelling and machining a simple stepped block, to see if it's a fusion or machine problem.
    While machining pay attention to where the mark on the shaft is at a known position, then return to that position at the end to see if anything has moved.
    This has only been a problem with the last 2 setups I have ran.
    All the ones before executed as expected.

If you have your heights set up accurately, where do you have your part located in the actual set up? Fusion automatically sets the part in the centre of the stock and you have to change it manually. If correct...

How are you setting your Z height? If using the Z setter I tested that quite a bit one day and got errors anywhere up to 0.3mm even using a slowed down double probing routine, its just not consistent for some reason, or at least mine isn't anyway. I don't use it anymore and touch off with a feeler gauge which takes a little longer but is far more accurate and repeatable.

Also the original hollow panel OMIO bed is a block of turd to put it lightly, putting a sheet of A4 paper on it will probably cause it to deflect. Getting smooth top surfaces and accurate heights is nigh on impossible, so expect to see a bit of error. I got a big slab of aluminium tooling plate to replace it and the improvement is massive. The last part I made was meant to be 12.55mm high and came out at 12.54mm with both surfaces flat to within 0.00mm and smooth to the touch. An impossible task on the original bed, its an addition worth its weight in gold imo, well worth looking in to.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOGARA View Post
    This has only been a problem with the last 2 setups I have ran.
    All the ones before executed as expected.
    I wouldn't make assumptions!
    Are your previous setups still working as expected?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread Information