. .

Thread: Gluing Acrylic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have always bemoaned the fact that you can't buy chloroform in this crappy country, making it hard to cement acrylic with an optically clear joint.
    I just bought a litre of lab grade chloroform on Bay of Fleas, shipped from Italy of all places.
    Do you think it will get stopped by Customs? Even so, jolly exciting what!

I have used off the shelf solvent type of adhesive and also stuff that cured with UV light. I'm no professional, but they seemed to be pretty good optically where I didn't have air bubbles ��

Is chloroform the best thing to use?

Anyway, if it doesn't work it'll get you to sleep of an evening without having to count sheep !!

Cheers Will

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I have always bemoaned the fact that you can't buy chloroform in this crappy country, making it hard to cement acrylic with an optically clear joint.
    I just bought a litre of lab grade chloroform on Bay of Fleas, shipped from Italy of all places.
    Pretty tame!, I bought some chemical from a supplier on eBay from a certain country that does great sweet&sour with egg-fried rice (having previously been declined from UK chemical suppliers), used for many things dodgy, but for me for use as an activator for through-hole plating of PCBs. Recognising the potential nefarious use of the chemical the supplier photographed it "pre-post" then relabelled it as something altogether different before dispatch. Unbelievably dodgy, but it worked. I don't think I'll try that one again.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    if its coming from Italy, then no, it should arrive.
    It does not go through customs like if you import from outside the eu.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenova View Post
    Is chloroform the best thing to use?
    I got that impression from my mate Bob. Bob spent his days pickling bits of people and putting them in plastic pots, he occasionally had to re-pot historic bits of people because everything in his care was spick and span. I got the impression that there was not a lot Bob didn't know about gluing Perspex. His tools were a saw and a belt sander but you would never have guessed it from the pots.
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 17-02-2017 at 09:43 AM.

One of my Sixth-Form Physics teachers spent a double period gluing his Hillman Avenger rear lamp back together with Chloroform, he did dissolve a little perspex in it before use but didn't explain why, you were hard pressed to see the joins after he polished it.
    I bought a bottle of Perspex-specific adhesive off eBay a couple of months ago, it's mainly a vile solvent with, I'm guessing, a little perspex dissolved in it?
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

As long as Brexit is still just talk... it should not be stopped, but that does not make it entirely legal. I don't know the laws of UK, but even if it is OK to post a joint from Amsterdam, Holland (I have no idea if it is possible, just an example) it is not OK to order and receive it in Sweden. Drug trafficking is not part of the freedom of transporting goods within EU because it is regulated by a different law. I don't know if chloroform is classed as drug, but my guess is that it is, so it is probably not OK and if stopped then you will be in trouble if it is classed as drug in UK. If it is not classed as drug, it is probably classed as "dangerous goods and chemicals", which again is regulated by a different law, not the same as sending a piece of machinery or tools.

Anyway, you probably know all that already...
    Last edited by A_Camera; 17-02-2017 at 10:06 AM.

I make signs, there are proper chemicals now for bonding acrylic, I get the chloroform equivalent from Signs Metals & Plastics in Bromsgrove, it's called Fusion, it's syringable, the clear 2 pack adhesives are stronger on edge bonding
    Last edited by Maxakarudy; 17-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
    it's called Fusion, it's syringable, the clear 2 pack adhesives are stronger on edge bonding
    That doesn't actually sound like much of a recommendation

Before this H&S insanity every living room in the country had a record deck with a smoky acrylic cover glued together with chloroform. The joins were invisible and unbreakable, my cat kept her pet spider in one. Trapped by the smooth vertical walls she would bat it about to her hearts content. I thought about releasing it but the idea of my pet having a pet was too delicious

Before this H&S insanity every living room in the country had a record deck with a smoky acrylic cover glued together with chloroform. :
    Some of us had separates that were decent kit though ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information