. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Hi Mc
    Pathpilot was the main reason I was looking at Linux but the advice seems to be that you need a good understanding of Linux. I just don't have the time at the moment and just need to get the lathe and mill working.

I'm not to bothered about transferring from machine to machine but having the same program to run all the machines would be good so I don't have to learn and remember multiple programmes.

I was looking at the 4axis controllers on ebay for 150 quid, they look like a good standalone option.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    PP has 5 inputs two were required for the encoder one for the O'shite button and two spare (could be z and x home)
    Loving the "O'shite" button, might have to get a few of them. Didn't think of running both from one card, would be good for testing to make sure it works ok. ultimately I would probably need both machines running at the same time.

Did you get Pathpilot working then?

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    No. The pci or pcie card by mesa is a motion controller with the step generation etc done in the hardware.
    Sorry I didn't know that. In this case one disadvantage of PCI is that it requires a dedicated desktop computer. The UC300ETH allows me to use laptops also and I don't have to have the PC and the CNC near each other since it is on my LAN through a router and LAN switch.

PCI i would avoid. For no other reason than if PSU of PC hacks up, the first think it does is burn all inside PC, hence your expensive PCI motion controller. I was repairing PCs at a certain point of time, so take my word on that. When it burns, it burns all. Nothing is spared.

I would greatly encourage you on the standalone controllers. As you know i run my machine on one with exceptional result. And can not stop bragging around how cheap and good value for the money, even with some small drawbacks. And if not the cheap one, there are even better ones for 500Euro.

Gone are the days i will use another controller if not for some very special retrofitting or very special machine.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Sorry I didn't know that. In this case one disadvantage of PCI is that it requires a dedicated desktop computer. The UC300ETH allows me to use laptops also and I don't have to have the PC and the CNC near each other since it is on my LAN through a router and LAN switch.
    Yes I agree but does the UC300ETH support rigid tapping and multi encoders?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    PCI i would avoid. For no other reason than if PSU of PC hacks up, the first think it does is burn all inside PC, hence your expensive PCI motion controller. I was repairing PCs at a certain point of time, so take my word on that. When it burns, it burns all. Nothing is spared.
    Boyan I have to say you are talking blx. I also have been in PC's when you were in nappy's and I have never seen a pc PS "burn all inside" as you say.

And as you know the stand alone controllers are not yet mature enough to be singing the praises yet. This has been debated in another thread.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

It's supported rigid tapping for a very long time.
    Encoder inputs were added to the latest version. But what you do with the encoders is entirely up to you. You need to write macros or a plugin to do anything with the encoder data.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Boyan I have to say you are talking blx. I also have been in PC's when you were in nappy's and I have never seen a pc PS "burn all inside" as you say.

And as you know the stand alone controllers are not yet mature enough to be singing the praises yet. This has been debated in another thread.
    I know your opinion already on the controllers. Do as you like. I am just giving mine opinion. Mature or not, i am cutting happily and reliably.

And no, you dont have to say- you like to say, which is a totaly different thing. Not respecting others opinion and experience when different than yours is a personal choice.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I don't know. I think it supports tapping but don't know about the multi encoders.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    I was looking at the 4axis controllers on ebay for 150 quid, they look like a good standalone option.
    I've not looked at those in detail, however I suspect those ones will not support turn functions like threading and diameter mode. Also I'm not sure what tool offset tables the cheap controllers support. On a mill, re-zeroing isn't a major problem after tool changes, but on a lathe, it's a nightmare.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information