. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thanks for all the replies, good to have a varied response.

Boyan- have you used them on a lathe, or know of examples on a lathe?

So the Ethernet looks to be the best then from a practical standpoint, is there any performance benefit for pci over Ethernet?

So the Ethernet looks to be the best then from a practical standpoint, is there any performance benefit for pci over Ethernet?
    If you a thinking linuxcnc then there is no difference in performance but if you want a longer cable from the pc to the control box then Ethernet is the winner.

I use Ethernet with Mach3 to a Russian controller on the router.

I have no experience with the UC300ETH so can't comment.

You will have to think if threading is important and if you want to control the spindle speed to be able to use G96 CSP like;- http://www.mmsonline.com/columns/the...-surface-speed

Being able to use diameter mode or radius mode etc. and ATC need to be considered if you so wish.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post

The UC300ETH has a maximum pulsing of 400kHz but my drivers support maximum 200kHz only. I don't know the PCI card so I can't compare.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    better get over to the Linux and UCCNC forums to see what suits my needs then.

Got a spare Dell OptiPlex with a parallel port so might have to set it up and have a play. Cheers

Holy thread revival!

On this subject of PCI vs Ethernet, and with a particular application of a Lathe/turning project where I need to encode the spindle speed (and possibly with >1 ppr, likely 64-200ppr), is there any experience with how the packetised nature of ethernet impacts the latency/jitter of the spindle timing pulse which would critically impact the ability to thread?

I'm thinking Parallel port or PCI before ethernet - I can't imagine how a rotational controller is going to give phase-accurate timing on the PC through the ethernet packaging and/or socket stack to give a real-time rotational speed decoding.

Or has anyone got experience of shaft position encoding with an ethernet controller? Does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Holy thread revival!

On this subject of PCI vs Ethernet, and with a particular application of a Lathe/turning project where I need to encode the spindle speed (and possibly with >1 ppr, likely 64-200ppr), is there any experience with how the packetised nature of ethernet impacts the latency/jitter of the spindle timing pulse which would critically impact the ability to thread?

I'm thinking Parallel port or PCI before ethernet - I can't imagine how a rotational controller is going to give phase-accurate timing on the PC through the ethernet packaging and/or socket stack to give a real-time rotational speed decoding.

Or has anyone got experience of shaft position encoding with an ethernet controller? Does it work?
    There should be no problem using the Ethernet for spindle control (even a high speed encoder) as the processing is done on the card. You mentioned Linuxcnc a while back have a look at these cards 7i76e 7i96 and 7i92

http://store.mesanet.com/index.php?r...product_id=290

http://store.mesanet.com/index.php?r...11&search=7i96

Funnily enough Ross is retrofitting fitting a couple of lathes with the 7i96

Edit: PCW is the guy on the Lcnc forum that owns Mesa
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As Clive says, it's done on the card.
    All the Mesa cards I've looked at have an FPGA which will handle all the time critical stuff, and motion will be buffered to the FPGA.

It's how pretty much all external motion controllers work.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Cool, m_c and Clive - that's kind of addressing my concerns. I'm still going Linux, but it's going to be the usual 4+ weeks for 2 MPGs to find their way to the UK so I'll play with PP in the short term but for the MPG encoding as well as spindle speed controllers it looks like a Mesa card is needed in the near future.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information