. .

Thread: my build

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 19-06-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 89.
    hi tribbles
    i am looking at this page http://www.ondrives.com/commercial-g...ype-steel.html looking down the mod column it relates to the width of the rack, the pitch line is down from the top of the tooth so measured down there i could have mod 1.5 .... i think .... maybe .....well i am getting confused with this

Not sure why they've measured P based on the height, but that could be where they're measuring from (I am doing this from memory).

I've got some mod 1.0 rack in the garage - I'll go and measure it - it should tally with what they've got.

Just measured it - it's 3.15ish mm, so I'm willing to go with 3.14.

Looking at this page (which I'd been to earlier):

http://www.ondrives.com/precision-ge...ear-racks.html

it sort of indicates that half the pitch is (pi * m / 2) - although the end marker isn't exactly where I would expect it.

ETA: Looking at Kn8's document - reference pitch is pi * m, which is what I thought it was all along.

The "P" is the reference pitch height - i.e. where you measure the pitch from.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 19-06-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 89.
    hi tribbles
    will go and get the calipers to measure the rack

Just had a thought about the meaning of the "P" value - this is actually the height at which the pitch diameter would ride at.

So, if you had a 60mm diameter gear, and "P" was 10mm, then the centre of the gear would be 40mm from the base of the rack.

hi tribbles
    get 11mm pitch 3.1mm at the crown of the tooth
    and rack is 12mm wide , i am still confused cant seem to find anything similar, unless im measuring at the wrong place

Going from crown to crown, then 11mm is near as damn it mod 3.5. However, I've not seen that many mod 3.5s.

This seems to indicate this company makes them: http://www.rushgears.com/Tech_Tools/geargages.php

I take it you didn't find any gears with it, did you...

hi
    tribbles yes you'r right it looks like mod 3.5
    no, no gears with it im afraid
    mod 3.5 looks hard to find

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 005.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	1273

Name:	Picture 006.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	1274

Name:	Picture 007.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1275

Name:	Picture 008.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	1276

v groove bearings arrived from ebay this morning, the t slots on the back of the beam just happen to be size for a 10mm bolt head...
    the x and y are rock solid much better than my first mdf creation
    apparently this ali beam came from a stenna stair lift 190mm x 90 no flex at all even after cutting out the middle section . screw will go through the middle of the beam , gives me 600mm on the y

new trend t4 coming from santa for spindle...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information