. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepete View Post
    That Myford's nothing. Check out this £700 beauty:

Attachment 20925

That tin of Quality Street had a lucky escape...
    That is a rare thing, a left-handed lathe !!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Not a bad price for a Super 7 - the only cheaper one (ex-college, looking good) is on auction, not B-O, I'd expect any S7 to go for rather more than a grand.
    I watch the prices that they actually sell for because I have a vague interest in tracking sale prices

[STANDS UP TO ADDRESS THE MEETING] My name is Nick and I am a Myford Super 7-aholic [SITS DOWN AGAIN]

and without a gearbox they don't often make a grand unless (i) accompanied by substantial tooling and accessories or (ii) they have hardened ways or (iii) they are the long bed variant.
    Consider also that if a lower offer is accepted by a seller eBay systems still show the final price as the Buy It Now Price :O

I'm not actually Joined at the Hip to my Super 7, it has simply always done what I need it to do, up until the point where I could no longer manage with it's puny through capacity, even with it being the long bed version.

At the point when I was shopping for something larger a converted head became available, with 30.5mm through capacity and roller bearings (limiting speed to around 8000rpm!). Given the alternative of shopping for a suitable replacement, getting it running right and tooling it up to match the Myford, whilst still running the Myford for everyday jobs, before finally swapping out & selling the Myford the choice was easy.

My observation is that with a roller bearing head all the issues with "rigidity" seem to have disappeared. This lead me to the conclusion that the primary issue is not rigidity but the break-down under excess pressure/inadequate speed in the hydro-dynamic front bearing on the standard S7 and that only once this is forced off-centre does the work "climb" into the tooling and apply excessive force to the tool, holder, tool post, slides and ways.

Apologies for going off at a Tangent ;-)

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 02-03-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

A mate of mine has got his grandads old lathe sitting on his garage floor. It looks as though it has been stored underwater for 50 years ! Great patina !! Must be worth £1,500 as a base for a coffee table in a trendy Chelsea apartment.

I'll see if he wants to eBay it and I will split the profit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information