. .
    Hi, ive done a search but i could not find a clear answer. Ive got a WM18 warco mill that in total weighs about 220kg. Im looking to add steppers so i can use them as a powerfeed initially (maybe to use as a CNC later). Im thinking of using a 2 to 1 belt drive with the existing screws, and i heard someone say you need around 4.5nm of torque.

The only 4.5nm ones ive found at Nema34
    https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Stepper-Mo...4808-02-Nema34

On my router ive used these which are Nema24
    https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Stepper-Mo...H401-03-Nema23

If anyone can give me a idea of the required stepper size that would be great.

Thanks

Trev

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotty101 View Post
    Hi, ive done a search but i could not find a clear answer. Ive got a WM18 warco mill that in total weighs about 220kg. Im looking to add steppers so i can use them as a powerfeed initially (maybe to use as a CNC later). Im thinking of using a 2 to 1 belt drive with the existing screws, and i heard someone say you need around 4.5nm of torque.

Thanks

Trev
    Trev I have converted the WM18 to CNC I used nema23 from cnc4you BUT is used ball screws not the original lead screws.

I geared the screws down 2:1 with belts.
    Last edited by Clive S; 28-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks for the reply Clive. Was it the 4nm ones you used?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Thanks for the reply Clive. Was it the 4nm ones you used?
    It was the 3.2 for x and y. 4 on z. But remember you have a bigger advantage with ball screws
    ..Clive

Thanks Clive,

Ill get the 4NM ones then.

Trev

Thanks Clive,

Ill get the 4NM ones then.

Trev
    It would be a bit of shame to go to all the work of fitting motors and not changing the screws
    ..Clive

Hi Clive, yeah it would be best. Im just going to be running it manual and using the steppers as a powerfeed for now. Ill build my own controller that will drive the AM882s. So im just going to convert the Y and Z axis for now, but i guess thats how it starts, then the next thing ill be fitting ball screws and a stepper on the x.

Im enjoying learning playing with my router, although im had the double sided tap fail when ive been holding sheet ali down (thankfully i was fast on the stop), so ive got some toggle clamps now. Hopefully that will work out better. Its just the speeds and feeds that i need to learn better as i thing im being super conservative with it.

Thanks

Trev
    Hi Trev. I'm looking at getting a similar machine AMAT30LV when it comes in stock. Belted drive instead of geared.
    I'm using 425oz nema 23 on my SeigX2 and I'll be using the same for the x,y table on the Amadeal. But on the head I'm going to use a 1600oz nema34.

Should be plenty. Have got the electrics already from Wantmotor on ebay. I got my X axis on the Seig down to 0.03mm backlash with a 1605 screw attached. I'll be happy if I get that on the new one. I recommend using screened cable. I only use the soft limits on the Sieg (no switches) and still get noise in the system from the pc so I regret not going for screened. Sometimes they have a bumping noise and sometimes not.
    Lesson now learned.

Thread Information