. .

Thread: Fusion Problems

I am trying to get into Fusion 360, but when I load it up, the mouse movement gets so jerky that it is impossible to do anything. I have a feeling that it may be my motherboard onboard graphics (Asus P8H61-M running Win7 64bit) and my solution might be to get a graphics card that takes the load off the main processor.

Before I part with some hard earned pension, has any body got experience of this problem ?

Cheers,

Rob

how much ram do you have?

I've found fusion to be fairly ram hungry, but it works ok for the most part when I use it on my 2013 MacBook pro with integrated gpu. I'm guessing if you are running windows 7 it must be a fairly old machine?

Obviously it works much better and more slickly on my proper desktop with discrete GPU, but that's a much more powerful machine in every respect.

Hi Zeeflyboy,

The win7 machine has got 8Gb RAM, the machine isn't that old, the MB is still available. However I have a Win10 machine which I hate, so I suppose I ought to fire it up and try it on that.

Cheers,

Rob

Haha, I hated windows 8 but I'm actually starting to like windows 10 - especially since the latest update gives you more control over those bloody automatic updates.

My desktop pc will happily go to around 12gb of ram usage when doing stuff in fusion, so you may find 8gb is limiting you (but it should still run really... be surprised if 8gb left it unusable).

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I had all kinds of issues when I started using Fusion 360, and it was down to not having sufficient graphics RAM. The min requirements they specify is 512MB, so might be worth checking that your on board graphics satisfy that. Made me buy a new graphics card in the end, but thankfully something inexpensive, so long as it has 512MB minimum, should do the trick - doesn't need to be anything fancy from what I hear.

Hope that helps
    Graeme

Well, I fired up the Win10 machine and loaded Fusion to it. Sod it - it works OK ! I was looking for an excuse to go to Linux on that machine dammit dammit dammit !!!!!
    I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and not let my seething loathing of Microshaft control practicality.

Graeme, looking at the system on the win7 machine, it looks as though the onboard Intel HD graphics were using 250MB of RAM.

So it looks as though I am set up to learn Fusion now.

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    So it looks as though I am set up to learn Fusion now.
    ...and you'll never look back! Takes a bit of getting used to, as the whole approach to "modelling" with a tool like this is rather different to the "drawing" approach of older 2D CAD. but it gets to be a natural way to do things. The CAM side is pretty handy, too, with things like adaptive clearing easily available. I like it a lot. I still use Vectric VCarve, though, for things like lettering as it is just so good at doing that, and the CAM side works very well at the v-carving side of things.

I run F360 on a couple of machines with at least 1GB graphics cards - but given that my garage machine that just runs the router needed a graphics card replaced, and a 1GB card cost less than £25, that seems to be classed as "entry level" these days...

My son is interested in Fusion 360, he teaches design and technology, so hopefully he can get a freebie. I an interested in it because I am getting titsed off with what sketchup can't do or won't do properly (I would never spend money on that software, it is crap). My son is interested in laying photos onto sculpted forms. I want to 3D print a case for an electronic (MIDI) harmonica I am developing.

In the meantime here is a lithophane 3D printed from a photo using Cura. My first attempt, I am very happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1779.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	20955

Thread Information