. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    We have Winner.. (shared with Washout)
    There actually is Fixed bearing at other end but still it's not good design and shouldn't be like that on machine costing that much money. These machines use smoke and mirrors and people need to start looking deeper to see the real truth.!
    I had intended writing an intro post first but there's so many great posts in the intro section alone as I got distracted

Jazzcnc - I have no links with Axiom cnc machines and have never used one, but I do however want to point out that your comment about the coupler layout on this machine in question is perfectly fine and commonplace now in industry. I have seen them used on machines and automated equipment ranging from $80K, to $3.8M, and ranging from locations such as Foxconn in China, Ferrari in Italy, and onto all the large furniture manufacturers in San Francisco.

The layout performs the same in testing as the conventional layout, is cheaper, easier to assemble, cuts down on spare part inventory, is more compact and it also cuts down on inertia. The fixed end can use either a double row bearing, or 2 pairs of angular contact bearings depending on precision required.
    The layout also has the added benefit of having to only machine one datum surface for the single end bearing assembly - a welded or bolted tab being all that is necessary on the opposite end to locate motor. Slotted holes are often used on this tab to tram in the screw parallelism in relation to the rails.

Instead of saying ''shouldn't be like that on machine costing that much money'', you should be saying "I'm delighted to see it feature on a machine costing so little money" - whatever that cost is

I would expect to see this layout more commonplace as time goes by as it spills from industry down into the pro user/hobby market.

Below is just one example of the layout on an industrial cnc. There are many more that can be found too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOLZHER_CNC-machining_centre_PRO-MASTER_7123_320_K.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	21258

Just because you haven't seen something before doesn't mean its bad

Anyways....best get up that intro post eh!!

TDK.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Just because you haven't seen something before doesn't mean its bad
    Like wise change isn't always for the better only time tells the true picture. Which I'm sure Mr Trump will learn you soon enough.!!

Can tell you it won't be happening on any machine with my name on it.!!

Like you I've seen industry change methods over the years, often based on cost cutting rather than improving peformance and like wise seen these new methods dropped in short order. This I'm sure will be another given time.?

As a newbie to this site I have to say that I wold have expected a little more advice from some more experienced members. You seem very quick to tell us what is rubbish, but refuse to help us find a good quality off the shelf unit.

You have the benefit of knowledge why not share it. I am looking for a sub 10k machine. Jazz you did in one thread mention Excel CNC but I am unable to get any of their web pages to open.

So I am sure I speak for many people when I ask for some help and advice on what is good rather than what is not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticblue View Post
    As a newbie to this site I have to say that I wold have expected a little more advice from some more experienced members. You seem very quick to tell us what is rubbish, but refuse to help us find a good quality off the shelf unit.

You have the benefit of knowledge why not share it. I am looking for a sub 10k machine. Jazz you did in one thread mention Excel CNC but I am unable to get any of their web pages to open.

So I am sure I speak for many people when I ask for some help and advice on what is good rather than what is not.

Thanks
    Mate, in my opinion you've got a bloody cheek making comments like that.

You've been a member on the forum for 5 HOURS and you somehow feel entitled to criticize advice previously given by members FOR FREE.

This forum is MOSTLY to support people who wish to build or convert their own CNC machine(s), and not to advise on commercial machines.

You seem to have an amazing expectation that total strangers should serve your desires exactly to your expectations.

But you jump in here boots and all, without having the manners to even introduce yourself and give a decent summary of what you need the machine for.

Did I mention that all of the advice kindly shared on this forum is given FOR FREE.

What happened to your previous SLAVE(S)?
    Last edited by AndyGuid; 15-02-2019 at 01:24 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyGuid For This Useful Post:

Oh I am sorry. So it’s ok to slate a product or two saying they are rubbish. But when asked for genuine advice on what the experts think is good you won’t give. I thought the point of forums was to share information and advice. I will ignore the slave comment as I feel it’s rather childish.

It's not that people don't want to help, in many cases it's down to not being in a position to give a full balanced view on a machine: to do that honestly & responsibly (i.e. not blabbing your mouth off) you'll need to have had a thorough examination of one "in the flesh", tested it for accuracy and actually used it for some real work. OK, it's fair to give an opinion on aspects of the design that normal engineering principles make obvious, but how the whole package performs can be a different thing.
    Last edited by Voicecoil; 15-02-2019 at 02:42 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

...and continuing that point, it all depends on what the enquirer actually needs (which is often a little bit different to what they say they want). A friend of mine has a Chinese 900x600 router. There are quite a few design points on that machine that I do not like, and I would have done differently (and yes, I have built a router that does a good job for me). His machine would probably not do the work that my machine can do. However, he runs a small business and uses his router for engraving signs and panels and similar in wood. His machine has done a very acceptable job for him for the last couple of years. So, while the regulars on this forum can point out some things to watch out for, no-one has an in-depth knowledge of every machine on the market and in any case it all depends on what you need, and what you can afford. There are a whole bunch of trade-offs in almost every area of performance including, for a commercial buyer, the level of support needed before, during, and after purchase.

Hi Mysticblue

I understand your point and it has been made before by new members. Somehow the new member interprets silence as ‘holding out’ and comments / observations of commercial machines as just a list of negatives.

The truth is that this site is mostly made of DIY builders who build for fun or have made a machine for use in a small business. People who just want to buy a fair machine and get back to business don’t stay in the forum for long as that is not really their interest. So there are not lots of guys waiting here to give out that kind of advice, sorry.

Maybe there are user forums for the machines you are considering that would be better suited?

On the other hand if you decide to build something I don’t think you will find a better place to ask for advice and we will set aside the bumpy introduction.

Hope this helps.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information