. .
    Hi,

Finally got round to starting my Denford Starturn 8 lathe with ATC turret.

It runs DOS operating software so is a bit clunky compared to the VR software I use on the novamill.

Anyway, I was just orienting myself with the machine, and jogged the X axis away from the centre line, and the axis stopped at what looked like "home" position. I assume there was a switch as it stopped prior to me releasing the down arrow.

Now the X axis won't go back towards the centreline, in fact the Z axis wont move either...

The screen seems to indicate they are moving, but the machine remains still.

Has anyone else ever had this? What is the cause? I have tried reboot of PC and power off/on of machine.

Any advice would be welcome, as otherwise I have a very expensive paperweight. :)

Well if the contol software thinks it's moving then I'd start looking at fuses or for signs of magic smoke.!!

Excellent suggestion! I'd forgotten it had fuses. Will look later, thanks!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Have you ran it into a limit switch?
    Might be worth manually winding the axis back a bit, and see what happens.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks guys, going to check it out later if I can sneak into the garage :)

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Have you ran it into a limit switch?
    Might be worth manually winding the axis back a bit, and see what happens.
    DRO's are going round which shouldn't happen if limit was tripped because control wouldn't allow. Obviously that's working on basis setup correctly and limits are not hardwired to Kill drives only.!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    DRO's are going round which shouldn't happen if limit was tripped because control wouldn't allow. Obviously that's working on basis setup correctly and limits are not hardwired to Kill drives only.!
    As we all know, Should and Do, are two completely different things!
    However, as always with diagnostics, start with the easy and obvious stuff first. The fact both axis stopped moving after jogging one, points towards a limit switch problem. Does the starturn have a limit override button?
    If it doesn't, it probably doesn't have limit switches, as denford didn't always fit them to smaller machines.

Have you found the relevant manuals and wiring diagrams over on the denfordata site?

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    As we all know, Should and Do, are two completely different things!
    However, as always with diagnostics, start with the easy and obvious stuff first. The fact both axis stopped moving after jogging one, points towards a limit switch problem. Does the starturn have a limit override button?
    Do you really think you need to tell me this.!! . . . . The fact still remains if it had correctly implimented Limit switches DRO's shouldn't be going round. I can't see Denford Fitting limit switches and allowing the control not to know about it can you.?

To me this suggest's doesn't have limit switches so something else is wrong and seen has two axis are not moving then I'd look towards fuses. What's easier than that for starting point.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 15-03-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Do you really think you need to tell me this.!! . . . . The fact still remains if it had correctly implimented Limit switches DRO's shouldn't be going round. I can't see Denford Fitting limit switches and allowing the control not to know about it can you.?

To me this suggest's doesn't have limit switches so something else is wrong and seen has two axis are not moving then I'd look towards fuses. What's easier than that for starting point.?
    I take it you're in an argumentative mood?

I would hope Dangle has the intuition to try whichever option is easier first. I've got no idea about Starturns, but it would be easier to open the lube door on my Cyclone, stick my hand in and spin the ballscrew, rather than drag the lathe forward to open the control cabinet.

Plus, given the fact Dangle implies in the original post that the machine is new to them and hasn't been run for a while, means settings could of been lost, or somebody has played with settings they shouldn't off.
    As I said, start with the easy stuff, and work from there.

And having just checked the starturn 8 wiring diagram on denfordata, there is only a limit switch on the Z axis, and it is in series with the guard switch. It's not something stupid like the guard switch has been stuck, and has just so happened to move and cut power when you've moved the X axis?
    There is no mention about what the software does if a guard is opened, or the limit is hit. The manual only mentions about the Z limit override switch (apparently on some kind of movable block) which is just below the e-stop button, and from what I can make out from the wiring diagram, the limit/guard switches go to a relay/interface board, but the only connections between the controller and relay board, are 4 wires for the spindle sensor. The stepper signals go directly from the controller to the drives, so there is no feedback to the control board that things have lost power.

By all accounts, it's a very basic machine, with not much to go wrong.
    So it means fuse, switch, wiring, or something has released the magic smoke.

well I've checked the fuses, and they all look ok...

I couldn't power it up as I was having some sockets installed in the garage so I didn't have power. Will take a look this weekend properly.

Thread Information