. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I have just acquired an old laser tile cutting machine and would like to make plasma cutting machine with it it didn't come with a controller and has no laser or z axis motor for now I would like to get x and y working I have plugged pc in via serial port with Mach 3 seems to be getting signal from encoder because x and y values change when axis are moved manually but can't move them with jog would I be better getting new Bob if so can any one recommend a make that will be suitable for my drives/ motors ?here are some pictures .
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach3 cannot use Serial port for motion or I/O without special software/hardware. Do you mean parallel port.?

By far the easiset way to get this working will be to buy new BOB and wire servo drives directly.

However Mach3 using the parallel port won't provide high enough pulse rate to use those servo drives to there full potential and you'll have very limited speed. Even if you used whats called electronic gearing which will be built into the servo drives you'll still struggle with mach3 25khz default kernal speed. Even 45Khz which is about high has would advise running mach3 will need high electronic gearing ratio depending on servo encoder count.

To do this correctly with Mach3 you'll need Motion controller with at least 100Khz frequency. This KHz frequency also applies to any other controller as well because the number of pulses required for fully motor speed is dictated by the servo motor encoder count and Electronic gearing ratio if used.

Simple mach3 BOB will get you moving but it will be very slow and unreliable.

Edit: To work out the Frequency required for full Motor RPM without electronic gearing we would need to know the Encoder resolution or put another how many encoder counts per revolution. Any details on the encoder would help as there are several types of encoder.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Sorry yes I meant parallel port
    I think this is the encoder there is a toothed belt on the motor that gears up or down ? Will have to have another look . Is laser cutter slower moving than a plasma cutter?

Sorry crap photo will have another go later

Quote Originally Posted by jenxmetalworks View Post
    Sorry yes I meant parallel port
    I think this is the encoder there is a toothed belt on the motor that gears up or down ? Will have to have another look . Is laser cutter slower moving than a plasma cutter?
    Ok well that makes more sense. Don't worry about the Encoder for now as we'll just get motion first. Plus using the motor model I think it's 2050ppr which being quadrature means 8400ppr. So 8400 x 1500/60=210,000 PPS or 210Khz for 1500 RPM which motor is rated at. Mach3 default 25Khz would only get you aprox 180rpm.!!

I think the reason your not getting motion is because the drives are not recieving Enable signal. You'll need to use mach Enable output to turn on 5V relay which looking at Yaskawa manual you then pass 24V thru NO contact from terminal #47 (24V) on drive to terminal #40. This is the Servo On signal.

Or you can just put jumper wire between 47 & 40 but wouldn't advise that because means servo will be always active even when mach3 is in e-stop.!!! . . . Very dangerous with servo.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-03-2017 at 11:03 PM.

I will have another go tomorrow and report back there is two relays in box one clicks when I turn laser enable switch on I'm guessing the other one is the one I need to activate . Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it

Before all that find and check the servo drive manual, as Yaskawa are notorious that most of their used drives will not work for DIY cnc, due to non compatible signals with normal breakout boards. So find what signals and so on about the servos, then think about exchanging or upgrading the board
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Ok I've had another look the encoders have incr encoder utoph 20a wm written on them here are more photos of Bob
    The two LEDs on the left go on and off when I flick home /limit x and y the led on the right says pause if I disconnect the wire it goes out but still no movement

Here are the motor outputs there are two for each motor at the bottom the two at the top are 5v and ground is this motor enable?
    Here are my isolated out puts could one of these be motor enable?

Quote Originally Posted by jenxmetalworks View Post
    Ok I've had another look the encoders have incr encoder utoph 20a wm written on them here are more photos of Bob
    The two LEDs on the left go on and off when I flick home /limit x and y the led on the right says pause if I disconnect the wire it goes out but still no movement

Here are the motor outputs there are two for each motor at the bottom the two at the top are 5v and ground is this motor enable?
    Here are my isolated out puts could one of these be motor enable?

Just out of curiosity, where does the cat 5 ( blue cable above top leds) go? It is saying output on the board silk screen.
    Do you know how this machine was able to get ( g ) code? was it manually input via a keyboard? or downloaded via a disk/USB? or was it networked?
    Are there any manuals for the servo drivers? Am thinking that it will show in the current config what the output from the board will be step and dir or pwm
    when you say you get DRO movement, is that when you push the gantry manually or when you hit the keys in Mach3?
    what was the logic for pin out assignment in mack3
    Sorry for so many questions and no solution to the problem.

Good luck

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information