. .
    Hey Guys,

So bit by bit I am getting my machine sorted.
    ----------------- Lucy's Stats -----------------
    Interface: Parallel
    Driver board: CNC4X45A
    Dimensions: X: 1000mm Y: 1000mm (Cutting area X: 800mm Y: 720mm)
    Steppers & Drives:
    Y: 2 x Nema 23's - Belt
    X: 1 x Nema 23 - Belt
    Z: 1 x Nema 17 - Ball and Screw

Lucy, i think originally was designed for modeling foam. So she isn't very heavy duty.

----------------- The issues -----------------
    Right now i have 2 issues whilst cutting, especially on the more dense materials, like 5+ mm Acrylic.

1. Slippage on the x and y - Especially on the X (Does sound like it struggles a bit more, the motor makes a high pitch sound even when not being driven and is always quite warm).

2. Slight play on the Z axis assembly(The whole assembly looks like its being dragged) when moving on the Y axis. I know the X gantry is not twisting, so i presume its something to do with the Z assembly.

3. The cut isn't even in depth on larger pieces - I presume that is because the 12mm MDF that is the base of the machine is sagging in the middle.

My main concern is the slippage for now.

I know the Belt driven system isn't ideal by any means, and i need to upgrade. Which i fully intend to do once i know how lol.

----------------- What i would like from this thread -----------------
    A. Check if the belt drive system is set up correctly (I know when i rub the belts up there is a slight amount of gather at the top).
    - How firm do i pull the belts when clamping them down?
    - Is there such thing as too rigid?

B. How difficult would my machine be upgrading from the belt to one of the other options, more importantly at what cost?
    - Take into account the base needs to be swapped out from MDF to Aluminium steel struts
    - Maybe increasing the machine X and Y to a cutting bed of X: 1000mm Y: 1500mm (Although don't think so as this is my hobby machine and one to learn on for the arrival of my friends big one)

Thanks in Advance.

Information about Lucy with pics: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10769...9631#post89631
    Last edited by CrazeUK; 14-03-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeUK View Post
    B. How difficult would my machine be upgrading from the belt to one of the other options, more importantly at what cost?
    - Take into account the base needs to be swapped out from MDF to Aluminium steel struts
    - Maybe increasing the machine X and Y to a cutting bed of X: 1000mm Y: 1500mm (Although don't think so as this is my hobby machine and one to learn on for the arrival of my friends big one)

Thanks in Advance.
    No point it's waste of time and money trying to upgrade that machine. By design it's fundamentally flawed and you'll always be chasing something or other.
    Said this many times but you really can't "make silk purse out of Sows ear" so save your money and don't try. Better option would be to tidy it up a little find the faults you think it's got then sell it on.
    Then look at DIY build or buying a better machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    No point it's waste of time and money trying to upgrade that machine. By design it's fundamentally flawed and you'll always be chasing something or other.
    Said this many times but you really can't "make silk purse out of Sows ear" so save your money and don't try. Better option would be to tidy it up a little find the faults you think it's got then sell it on.
    Then look at DIY build or buying a better machine.
    Hi mate.

I have looked into finding a better machine, but this is my "Hobby" machine, so i make smaller less important things, so i cant really justify the spend. Additionally, this one is just to learn on, in advance of my friend ordering the larger one, and boy has it been a steep learning curve (thanks to your help too!).

Would it not still be more economical to buy a new frame and use the existing electronics, steppers etc?

Thread Information