. .
    Hi all,

just wondering if anyone could give me a idea of what places charge to CNC plastic, wood and aluminium? is it just and hourly rate + material? Is there artwork setup costs?

Any info would be a great help.

Many thanks!

It depends on the parts, but typically, it'll be an hourly rate, plus any cad/cam costs incurred, plus material (with a markup) if the shop is supplying them.
    Some people may charge you by the part, but that would not be typical from my experience.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

The typical place will charge you ~50 per hour for consulting and 100-150 per machining hour.

A person will charge you less off course and much cheaper for machine time. But all depends on what exactly you will like machined. The first may seem much at first glance but we are talking production and production machines.

Its same like going to a mechanic to repair your car. if you car is fancy, the official service will cost you much more than the small repair shop.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Might be done differently in the US or Europe, but I have worked for a few UK companies from small shops to larger companies doing work for multi-nationals where price is per part. Part of my role has been to make up quotes for customers and the process has involved using a spreadsheet to calculate price based on any quantity of parts, for instance 1,10,20,50off. I would just enter material cost(+10%), and the time taken to program, set and machine each operation, then the spreadsheet would spit out a one page quote with price for each quantity. 100-150 seems very high, is that euros?
    For 3 axis milling, 2 axis turning the most I have seen is £45p/hour in the spreadsheet and at a company that is doing 5 axis machining for aerospace industry it is in the region of £80-100.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgates1000 View Post
    Might be done differently in the US or Europe, but I have worked for a few UK companies from small shops to larger companies doing work for multi-nationals where price is per part. Part of my role has been to make up quotes for customers and the process has involved using a spreadsheet to calculate price based on any quantity of parts, for instance 1,10,20,50off. I would just enter material cost(+10%), and the time taken to program, set and machine each operation, then the spreadsheet would spit out a one page quote with price for each quantity. 100-150 seems very high, is that euros?
    For 3 axis milling, 2 axis turning the most I have seen is £45p/hour in the spreadsheet and at a company that is doing 5 axis machining for aerospace industry it is in the region of £80-100.
    With a minimum setup charge of no less than 500 so at the end same as just what i was saying. I remember a couple of years ago when i needed sth produced/ a small run/ and after receiving 20+quotes from Uk and Europe , the cheapest was set up fee of 500Euro, plus what you say so when do the calc is what i say
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Don`t suppose you have a copy of that spread sheet do you i could really use something like that!! Trying to start a business but costing in sub con is a nightmare if you are a one man band. Thanks

Thread Information