. .

Thread: Advice please

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Guys whats the best way to find out the pitch of the Z screw?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Mark it and rotate one ful revolution and measure distance moved.. . . Simplizzzzz

Ah ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Measure it would be the obvious answer, but I'm going to guess it's buried out of sight.

Do you know if it's got any gearing between it and motor?

If it's all totally unknown, I'd set the steps/mm to 10 or 100. I'd probably try 10, and if you don't get much movement jogging, up it to 100, or maybe even 1000. You want to be able to jog at a reasonable speed. Too low a setting and it'll hardly move, too high and it'll be hard to control.

Then jog over a reasonable distance that you can measure accurately.
    Then divide the commanded movement by the actual movement, and finally multiply the steps/mm by that figure.

So say you use 100 steps/mm. You jog 20mm, yet the machine moves 35mm. 20/35 = 0.571439 Now multiply that by 100, and your steps/mm should be 57.1439.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Measure it would be the obvious answer, but I'm going to guess it's buried out of sight.

Do you know if it's got any gearing between it and motor?

If it's all totally unknown, I'd set the steps/mm to 10 or 100. I'd probably try 10, and if you don't get much movement jogging, up it to 100, or maybe even 1000. You want to be able to jog at a reasonable speed. Too low a setting and it'll hardly move, too high and it'll be hard to control.

Then jog over a reasonable distance that you can measure accurately.
    Then divide the commanded movement by the actual movement, and finally multiply the steps/mm by that figure.

So say you use 100 steps/mm. You jog 20mm, yet the machine moves 35mm. 20/35 = 0.571439 Now multiply that by 100, and your steps/mm should be 57.1439.
    It's a tad tight but the gearing is 1/1

I can just get in to measure it when I lower it, what am I measuring? I know the screw dia just need the pitch for the steps per

You could get a rough indication with a pair of dividers, if you set them to the narrow groves between the ball ways, ie on the OD of the screw. Then do as M-C instructed and use a dial gauge to get the actual distance traversed.
    Last edited by mekanik; 18-03-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    I can just get in to measure it when I lower it, what am I measuring? I know the screw dia just need the pitch for the steps per
    For a metric screw, you measure the distance between each thread/ball track.
    For an imperial screw, you measure the number of threads/ball tracks over an inch.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

measuring gaps won't help if it's multi start which often are. Best way is try to mark the screw and rotate 1 rev and measure distance. Chances are it will 5mm or 10mm pitch so easy to see which.

However if your still using mach3 then it's simple really just let mach work it out for you using Set steps per in the settings tab.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    measuring gaps won't help if it's multi start which often are. Best way is try to mark the screw and rotate 1 rev and measure distance. Chances are it will 5mm or 10mm pitch so easy to see which.

However if your still using mach3 then it's simple really just let mach work it out for you using Set steps per in the settings tab.
    Bang on my mate! 5mm I took a chance and it was bob on!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information