. .
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    what would be the best I could hope for quality wise on aluminium for something bassed on the first design ether made from ali or a welded steel frame.

For cutting aluminum if gantry is from alu profile, then make your gantry as Dean makes his machines, L shaped. To simplify things for you, check data for 2x 100x100x4mm or 200x100x4mm on the span of your intended gantry and that should be your minimum, aluminum or not. I am talking about the moment of inertia of the beam.

I have a complete drawing of my machine in Sketchup which has 1300x2600x200 mm working area. Later i revised it again piece by piece as i sold plans to some interested people and reflected the changes and what i have learned from the build and even further simplified some stuff for easier experience of putting it all together. Also corrected some details for the cheaper Chinese servos to fit there. I believe $ per strength my machine is an incredible value, where 700kg of metal do what normally 3 tons of metal do. I was contemplating also to redesign all instead of Sketchup to make it in NX or other CAD. So its easier to visualize and make a manual with instructions how to put it together.

In other words i dont mind giving the CAD for free but in order to update it with variants like L style gantry, etc. its an enourmous work. So i have to be stimulated to develop all that further, as its absolute stupidity for people again and again to try to reinvent the wheel for months when i have spent half an year designing fast and strong CNC which i know every little detail about it. The fact that i could machine mild steel 1mm DOC with Z axis fully extended and have perfect finish should speak enough about the quality of all. I am not selling you sth here, but if you want to save time and effort and help further with the project, PM me and we can arrange sth.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Thanks for the offer but for me at least part of the challenge and fun is designing the machine and certainly for me as the design process in fusion is a great way to get used to learning the program.

I have just had conformation the steel I have at home is 100 x 100 x 4 or 5mm so there more than enough there to build what ever I want if needed but would prefer to probably stick with alli still for the most part if possible to speed the build up as getting it done in a timely manner is just as valuable as any cost saving for me as time is quite valuable.

although saying that the thought of being able to build a machine from free materials does have a slight draw to it what ever build I go for.

have there bee any other solutions to being able to pass a full sheet through a machine that I have not thought about that would allow the high quality ali cut.

not wanting to have to go up to the expense of servo and crazy electronics is the size then the limiting factor for good aluminium cuts?
    Last edited by charlieuk; 26-03-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    have there bee any other solutions to being able to pass a full sheet through a machine that I have not thought about that would allow the high quality ali cut
    Charlie there is no cutting corners when it comes to having high quality finish in Ali. The machine needs to be Strong and Dense which by nature of the beast means heavy and when talking large format like 8x4 gets very heavy and expensive quickly.! . . . . Rush into this without good design and you'll regret it trust me.!
    Boyans machine is strong and heavy but nothing special in it's design, Even if he think's it is.! . . . However he's correct that no point trying to re-invent the wheel so if you havent got room to go vertical then stay with conventional design and just build it strong.

I wouldn't expect to cut corners just lower perhaps lower my expectations. The moulds I want to cut have to be hand finished, I guess it will just be how much work I want to do that is the question.

So to get the good quality with out going to steppers I'm just going to have to keep the gantry short?

or lower my expectation on the aluminium for the ability to feed a full sheet through.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Charlie there is no cutting corners when it comes to having high quality finish in Ali. The machine needs to be Strong and Dense which by nature of the beast means heavy and when talking large format like 8x4 gets very heavy and expensive quickly.! . . . . Rush into this without good design and you'll regret it trust me.!
    My machine quickly made me spend a lot of money. Initial plan was 1300x1300. making it full will cost around 2k more, including materials and parts. Maybe even a bit more. I knew that from the beginning and decided its worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Boyans machine is strong and heavy but nothing special in it's design, Even if he think's it is.! . . . However he's correct that no point trying to re-invent the wheel so if you havent got room to go vertical then stay with conventional design and just build it strong.
    Not that the machine is sth original in it self. We have seen similar and i have been inspired from similar.
    But i believe that still there are really a couple of Great things about the design:
    -$ per performace and generally all was optimized to save cash from here and there
    -ability to DIY at home with only cut off saw and Mig gun.
    -absolute minimum of milled or laser cut parts
    -no vibrations, yes it gives the thump sound when hit with a hammer , not the ring sound
    -Z axis is absolutely my original design with lowest overhang i have seen around and even ignoring the aluminum spindle enclosure machine will perform similarly. In other words this design removes the need of double gantry type machines, as they will not add sth very benefitial on the table, when both compared

The most special thing was that i did not do any mistakes so cost was as expected :-) and the performance met my expectations.

I still want to see a DiY machine that weights 800kg, has a work area of 1300x2600x200 and mills in steel with Z fully extended without ringing and perfect finish with 3kw spindle. Ok,will stop bragging, its obvious that i love my machine

Of course it couldn't have been able to happen without the help of others, Dean and Johnathan mainly.

I know it may not be exactly the perfect way to do it but I'm still trying to think of ideas to allow me to achieve both goals and was wondering about doing something like in this pic wether its from ali or steel and that is to have some removable plate that bolt to the side that interlock into the frame that would give extra stiffness for when I want to cut ali however could be removed as and when I want to cut ply. This would also allow me to use the narrow gantry layout.

is it a workable idea or not worth the effort?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Capture.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	21316  

Hi Charlie,

That closer plate would be very expensive, especially aluminium. Is the idea that the ply panel would hang out through the gap?

The problem with that approach would be making sure that the rails mounted on top of the long extrusions did not see any load / deformation when the closer plate was added. I think if you put a DTI onto them and mounted / demounted the closer plate the rail would move as you tighten the bolts. Best to get it all rigid, using epoxy levelling if desired, then leave it alone.

The other issue would be the stiffness in the lateral direction (i.e. towards and away from the other long side) would still be low, even with the closer plate. Usually this is helped with supporting posts which have some section in the Y direction - for example short extrusions of the same dimension as the long extrusion but turned on their end . . .or if done in steel then box sections turned on their end.

Google 'Joes 4x4 hybrid' (cnc zone) for machines in landscape format rather then portrait format - not saying I'd go with a machine like that as I'd say some of the features are a bit out of date now but worth a look over, plus the gantry gets quite wide.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Charlie,

Use 100x100x3 or 4mm box section, weld it and you dont need any diagonal bracing and similar. Just a simple table. Cheapest and strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Ok,will stop bragging, its obvious that i love my machine

Of course it couldn't have been able to happen without the help of others, Dean and Johnathan mainly.
    No Don't stop Bragging you have every right you've made an excellent machine so should be very proud. I was wrong in how I worded it and wasn't my intention to pull your machine down so please don't take that way.
    My point was mostly that your Design isn't anything special or unique that hasn't been done before, only so many ways to build these things.!! . . . Yes it's got few bits which aren't the norm and some parts are way overly engineered (which IMO is wasteful. Excess Over engineering just costs money and lowers performance) . . But in general the format is the same as many others which is mostly what I meant to get over to Charlie.

Charlie:

Just bite the bullet mate and build it strong from the get-go.! . . Strong machine will cut ply, maybe not at ideal feeds but will do it without blinking. Weak machine will just wreck aluminium every time.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-03-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information