. .
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you look close you'll see the Y axis doesn't drop below the gantry so even with raised sides it will pass over the rails.
    Not sure what you mean by less rigidity.? This setup doesn't affect rigidity at all. While the gantry is wider the bearings are still located exactly at same place they would be if gantry ended at rails. Only thing it does is make machine wider. This is offset by the fact don't loose any cutting area and no messing around with setup.
    I ment if the 4th axis went across the machine rather than down the length. The way you have it down the length would be more ridged as the spindle would always be at one side of the gantry however maybe it would be more compact if it was the other way

Something like this you mean.!

Attachment 23851

Where do you have the screws for the x on this machine? just trying to think if I have the 4th on the side its going to be a little cluttered having the screw on the side and then the 4th beside and below it, not great for dust and chip protection ether. perhaps this means it would be better to be keeped inside the main frame

thinking this is already starting to look untidy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Capture.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	23855

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    Where do you have the screws for the x on this machine? just trying to think if I have the 4th on the side its going to be a little cluttered having the screw on the side and then the 4th beside and below it, not great for dust and chip protection ether. perhaps this means it would be better to be keeped inside the main frame
    Doesnt have any it's using the "Force".!! . . . . Nah they are under the bed connected to brace running between each side. Obviously this design wouldn't work for you with high sides. But your only talking 75-100mm difference so shouldn't be big deal in grand scheme.?

Doesnt have any it's using the "Force".!! . . . . Nah they are under the bed connected to brace running between each side. Obviously this design wouldn't work for you with high sides. But your only talking 75-100mm difference so shouldn't be big deal in grand scheme.?
    Thanks dean it does look very clean with the screws under the table, I do worry that it will over complicate the build a little but perhaps its worth it, I was going to use 100x100 for my cross members in the middle of the as I have all the stuff I got for free you use something like 50 x 50 so the screws stay hidden.

Its looking like im going to build building almost exactly the same as your phone in the end except for the raised rails, bed and whatever changes to the screws and motors to get the speeds for a more metal dedicated machine but like they say imitation is the greatest compliment and why try and re invent the wheel when you have so much experience and knowledge that you share.

so going with this sort of placement I could just about get 40mm cross members above the screws unless the bk block is made smaller.

I also loose quite a lot of length with the 100mm box section on the end so wondering if there was a way I could get some of this length back? I was wondering about cutting some of the back of the box section away so the belts and pulleys are inside the box section?

Name:	1Capture.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	23862
    Last edited by charlieuk; 02-03-2018 at 08:55 PM.

few more sketches throwing ideas around.

I'm sure I missing a lot on not knowing the best way to make use of space

the first was pushing everything up underneath but makes getting to everything for servicing very hard

the second putting the screw back on the out side but underneath means chips from the 4th axis are going to be going straight onto the screw, some shielding could be provided but I would expect it still to not be great.

I guess I have to make a compromise some were and ether the machine has to be longer or the 4th bolts onto the bed

Name:	0Capture.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	23865

Name:	1Capture.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	23866

Can't be bothered going back thru all the thread but what are you wanting to mainly cut with this machine charlie.?

Can't be bothered going back thru all the thread but what are you wanting to mainly cut with this machine charlie.?
    Its mainly cutting metel, so aluminum moulds to as good a finish as I can get are high on the priority list if it can do anything harder at any sort of speed that would be a bonus but im not really expecting it from a router.

a few pics bellow of the same sort of thing I want to cut but that I have been testing in foam on my other machine and from corian on a friends when I was in auz.

Views:	159 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	23867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17353189_742997839207370_5667134234262365154_n.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	23868

having not been able to find a answer I have started to make a few compromises, at the moment im thinking im going to have to add a little extra length but wondering about having the motors inside the frame perhaps to keep it tidy. having the screws underneath like it Is at the moment I have had to reduce to 100 x 40mm box section for the cross members and that only leaves 1.3mm clearance between it and the ballnut mount. im not to keen on that so thinking I need to find a little more clearance and maybe in large the cross members or go back to screws on the out side

Views:	185 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	23885

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information