. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had 20 boxes arrive from China via Royal Mail. All from the same place, all together, all to me at one address. They treated it as 20 separate imports and charged me £10 per box. Luckily they graciously allowed me to pay in one installment of £200 so I didn't have to give my card details 20 times.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It's based on value as assessed by customs, not cost.
    HM C&E have a high handed approach, at least they did when I worked for them in Southend in the 70's. I can't imagine their attitude changing much !

On a gratifying note, I got this email from Micro-Swiss :-

Rob,
    Oh wow, this is how much Customs and even Royal Mail added to the cost??? I never knew that Royal Mail adds their charges on the top.
    I can offer to split the extra cost. Let me know if you would like that.

Thanks

I won't be taking up the offer, it would amount to less than £8.

Gary, About your comment - I do buy from British businesses, but if a company rooks me, then I am no longer a customer. I will give you some examples -

A 3D printer company that sold me a 'special heated bed tape' for £17 that turned out to be £6 of Scotch blue masking tape.
    A company in Devon that sells high priced, poorly engineered CNC machines and then give no worthwhile customer support.

On the other hand, some companies go beyond expectations, like Amadeal, who just put the small part I needed in the post FOC.
    There is another company in Dorset, that has given me good advice and I have only spent about £400 with them, but they are on my major purchase suppliers list, should the need arise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information