. .

Thread: DIY Pin Badge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    You'll have to pardon the French here...

I've been wanting to make myself a couple of badges for a while. Picked up some brooch backs off ebay and had a bash at making over the last few days. Results are good, I'm getting to grips a bit with the epoxy and polishing techniques, but it can still be a bit hit and miss.

Here's one I made - 3 tools: 2mm pocket, 1mm pocket and then a 0.5mm profile. Would have been nice to experiment with Fusion 360's REST machining feature here, but I'm not confident enough to switch to using it and in fairness, until I've worked out which parameters I can 'ignore' in 360 the Vectric software is a LOT more user friendly...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	21251 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MILLING_02.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	21255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MILLED_01.jpg 
Views:	681 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	21254 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	448.0 KB 
ID:	21252 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FY_COVER.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	21253 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BADGE_ANIM.gif 
Views:	697 
Size:	1,014.8 KB 
ID:	21250

From 3D viz through to final badge. Of course, it's massively inefficient to make a load of badges this way, but as a one off the quality is great and it's always excellent to be able to make your own stuff..!

Wal.

Nice finish, but why "Yep!" and not "Yeah!" or "Yes!" or even "Don't Mind If I F**kin' Do"?
    :-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >but why "Yep!" and not "Yeah!"

Hehe - You're absolutely right - 'Yeah' is the official standard - I went for the slightly awkward 'Yep' because it looked better (and I'm a bit awkward like that..)

The finish - took a while to polish that in, damn micro-scratches...

Wal.

Very nice, great quality & finish.
    Thanks for showing.
    Cheers

You are the master of badges. But what do you do with them? What these badges serve for?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I'll wear this one to interviews, you know - to suggest my enthusiasm to prospective employers...

(All depends - I make the occasional badge for friends, I'll probably wear this one every once in a while and others just end up as ornaments. I guess I just like designing and making 'em, kills a bit of time, but no - they serve no purpose whatsoever, except to satisfy me when they come out looking alright...)

Wal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    I guess I just like designing and making 'em, kills a bit of time, but no - they serve no purpose whatsoever, except to satisfy me when they come out looking alright...)
    Wal.
    Good on yer Wal great looking badge, best answer I've seen mate keep it up.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    They serve no purpose whatsoever, except to satisfy me when they come out looking alright...)
    Wal.
    Agree with Phill on this one, best reason going. Brilliant work, Wal, that's a whole lot of buffing!

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some miniature plaques made for a friend who builds high end hi-fi amps. The small ones will sit next to their respective valves (viewable through the glass top) and the other two will be mounted to the chassis at the rear of the amp. Heh, the badges for this amp cost about what most people spend on their stereos - well, maybe not, mates rates and all that - but still...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E810F-SCALE.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	21402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040705.JPG 
Views:	421 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	21403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040725.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	21404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040748.JPG 
Views:	471 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	21405

Not quick to make, though...

Just thought I'd post some things I've made which serve a purpose, you know - just to keep Boyan happy..! ;)

Happy Easter.

Wal.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information