. .
    Have not browsed Aliexpres long time but seems Chinese sell very cheap large machines. At ~4000 brought here in Eu i dont see how anyone could beat that. Talking about 1300x2500 machine with heavy frame. I know its not a Ferrari but only parts on my big diy router cost more. Much more.

You may know my anti Chinese crap product attitude but even i shut up at that price. What do you think? I know there always be DIY from scratch for the sake of it, but for large routers, having in mind the construction and machined surfaces...

Link to listing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTB1bakYJFXXXXXGXpXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	21257
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Agreed the price is crazy. The only thing that scares me about buying these machines is if something goes wrong, for someone with technical knowledge that wouldn't be a problem but for someone like me it's to risky.

There is some sellers in U.K. Now selling some off these Chinese machines for 5 times the price if not more.

Recently they are popping up everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps price reflects quality. If it is shipped to EU for that price I would think you machine is better, even if this one perhaps contains more metal. My machine is at about £3000 now, built and designed by myself, everything possible was cut in my own shed using my own tools, so I haven't paid for more than the material, it is considerably smaller yet I don't believe I could buy one similar in the same quality, except for the looks, in China, even excluding shipping.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've been thinking about the cost of materials in that, and it's probably less than what you'd think.

If you knew what you were looking for, you could probably source all the bits for a couple thousand, however where China wins is labour cost.
    I'd guess there's probably only £2-300 worth of metal in that, and at most a couple days welding to weld it all together, that's provided everything is cut ready to weld, which if it's done on a half decent plasma, or even laser, it should assemble with minimal issues.
    Once your welding is done, it's just a case of painting, and assembly, finished of with a little bit alignment work (that's provided the welder has managed to avoid distorting everything...).

I'd like to see one up close, and to know if there is any kind of internal bracing, because if it's just a big open box, you could have one big resonator. I'd like to think given the reasonable looking exterior design, that will of been covered, but you never know.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

It has at least one ton of metal, probably around 1.5-2. My machine has mere 750kg which cost me here around 1000euro. Also i had to weld much more as i coudnt obtain nor manipulate at home that kind of steel profile they are using, which is enormous. That said its obviously better to use large steel profiles, machines and means to manipulate them, to have space to store and larger machine sou you can machine the rail surfaces.

All rails are Hiwin so thats also not cheap.

As i said, not a Ferrarri / i like to think about my machine like that true or not/ but pretty damn good.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    It has at least one ton of metal, probably around 1.5-2. My machine has mere 750kg which cost me here around 1000euro. Also i had to weld much more as i coudnt obtain nor manipulate at home that kind of steel profile they are using, which is enormous. That said its obviously better to use large steel profiles, machines and means to manipulate them, to have space to store and larger machine sou you can machine the rail surfaces.

All rails are Hiwin so thats also not cheap.

As i said, not a Ferrarri / i like to think about my machine like that true or not/ but pretty damn good.
    Well according to the listing, the net weight is 1500kg.
    Looking at the photos, to me the metal doesn't look that thick, so at most I'd guess the basic metal work is somewhere around 1000kg. Having just had a quick look at bulk steel costs, the price guides I can find are in the region of 3-500USD per tonne/ton.

As you mention, the big problem is handling the large sections. If you have the capabilities, and buy enough steel to get it at near market prices, the cost of building multiples of this size of machine is far less than what most people would think. Once you've worked out any teething issues with the manufacturing process, it's as simple as cut, weld, paint, assemble.

Plus if you don't have to worry too much about support, that's part of the cost you can greatly reduce.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Well according to the listing, the net weight is 1500kg.
    Looking at the photos, to me the metal doesn't look that thick
    I've converted similair chinese machine and the boxsection was mere 2mm and felt like tin can. However the Frame rails which rails and R&P were mounted on was Cast steel which was machined. It was thin brittle nasty shity casting which snapped if you looked at it funny. Couldn't remove bolt without it stripped threads.

The machined surfaces were so badly machined may has well not bothered. The bed supports which spanned between castings were made from U section and not very strong or straight.
    All drilled holes looked like they'd been done by blind man who'd had 10 pints.!! . . . . Z axis was joke and it's now door stop.!!

Yes they are cheap but they need plenty of fetteling IMO which is beyond most people. The electrics are mostly junk and to have reliable machine will at some point need replacing or upgrading so not saving anything there really. This just leaves the main components like linear rails R&P.

I'm with MC in that cost of steel is small in the grand scheme and far better frame could be made for not lot of money. While It's not possible to build same machine cheaper but certainly is possible for DIY builder to build one better for same money.

Here you go lads have look under her skirt and see exactly what I mean poor workman ship and that looks lot better than others I've seen and the one I converted.!!

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10802...0127#post90127

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Here you go lads have look under her skirt and see exactly what I mean poor workman ship and that looks lot better than others I've seen and the one I converted.!!

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10802...0127#post90127
    Got to admit it's poor workmanship! Castings are also soft, and skimming the gantry looks like it's been done with a fly cutter in a grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappointing insides, i have to agree. i looked at the link so they have the same internal bracing.

There was a promising bar beneath the rails, but if as you say sb machines that with angle grinder, then no point.

Ok, i can sleep better now :-)

Thread Information