. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Could do with some advice on single point threading in a CNC mill.
    Is there a good place to buy tools in the Uk?
    I have a range of sizes of thread I'll need to cut. One for example is approx 80mm diameter internal thread, others down to 30-40mm. Will I need different sized tools to get the right thread form in the base of the cut etc?

It used to me hugely expensive to buy gear cutters until some bod started selling full sets of Chinese tooling on Bay of Fleas.

The thread cutters look so flimsy I would be wary of practicing with an expensive one unless I had a lot of iron and huge floods of coolant to back it up

But are the Chinese parts bringing the price down yet? I don't know

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    A few, but they won't be cheap. How much are you willing to spend?

To get a thread with a correct thread form, you'll need a different tool for each pitch, however unless you really need to meet the official spec, then you can get away with only one or two tools.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    You will also need some way to gauge your finished thread to ensure it complies with the recognized standard.
    Regards
    Mike

The ones I've seen in the US seem to be around £100. Pretty pricey but if I only need one then I guess I can live with it. If I need several its another matter clearly and I'll need to rethink.

I'd prefer an indexable one so I could replace tips rather than the whole thing!

For that size range you can use an ISCAR MGCH 06 or MGCH 08 with a thread cutting insert, the inserts are available in the two most common thread angles.
    Tony at Jurassic Tools has a few in stock at an excellent price - http://www.jurassictools.com/store/s...re&phrase=mgch
    My only connection with Jurassic tools is as a very satisfied customer,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If you're happy spending that kind of money, another suggestion to go along with Nick's, is the simmill PX range. I've got one for grooving, but they do various different inserts, including threading.

Cutwel supply them - http://www.cutwel.co.uk/milling-tool...milling-tools/
    Although I notice they're not showing as having the holders in stock.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks Nick, one of those would be perfect. Just need to find a source for the inserts. So far can only see Iscar selling them direct at £170 for 10! Will email Tony and ask if he has/can get singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Thanks Nick, one of those would be perfect. Just need to find a source for the inserts. So far can only see Iscar selling them direct at £170 for 10! Will email Tony and ask if he has/can get singles.
    PM me if you struggle to find a supplier, I may be able to help.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    PM me if you struggle to find a supplier, I may be able to help.
    Will do, thank-you. Tony has already responded to say he can't get them. I'll have a look at the Simmills as well this week. Thanks for the leads, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information