. .
Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Yes, output is directly related to input, that is a very high input.
    Will have to check Monday morning see what it reads.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

I think the voltage will drop when you connect a load on the secondary side. Now you only have the caps connected right?

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Assuming input voltage is at rated 230V, your output voltage open circuit is going to be at 52VAC (rated output voltage plus the regulation rating of 4%).
    Multiply that by root 2, gives 73.5V peak voltage.

Now if your input voltage is at 250, which puts it around 8% above the rated voltage, so your output voltage will be proportionally higher, at 79.4V peak.

Now all you need is a sudden deceleration on a couple axes, and the energy dump back into the DC side can potentially push everything overvoltage.

If you search for my Triac retrofit thread, there's a big post there explaining all this.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

Now all you need is a sudden deceleration on a couple axes, and the energy dump back into the DC side can potentially push everything overvoltage.
    Thats the important bit, i would get this voltage down before connecting drives.

Have ordered a 45v 1kva which will solve the problem whilst I'm waiting I took the time to start stripping out the box and recovered some nicer wiring conduits. Also fitted a proper stop switch to it.

Friend is going to fibreglass repair the damage for me I might even paint it ;)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box open.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	825.5 KB 
ID:	23193

Name:	box side.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	23194

Name:	box front.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	23195

There's loads of space in here should I put the transformer in here as well and fit a 4 120mm pc fans two blowing in across the am882's and two sucking out the side of the transformer and leave a nice gap so the air can flow, I want to make sure the caps get good air flow over them.

It would be good to fit the transformer at the top of the box but it weighs 8kg making the box top heavy so it'll go at the bottom if i do fit I think the key will be good air flow and lots of it. I have a better on/off switch which is rated to 2hp (I think might be 3) ac3 so I think should be ok for the PSU.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 12-11-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    Have ordered a 45v 1kva which will solve the problem whilst I'm waiting I took the time to start stripping out the box and recovered some nicer wiring conduits. Also fitted a proper stop switch to it.

Friend is going to fibreglass repair the damage for me I might even paint it ;)

Name:	box open.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	825.5 KB 
ID:	23193

Name:	box side.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	23194

Name:	box front.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	23195
    If you can cancel the order and reorder a 625Va as it should suite you better 45V is a good choice
    Last edited by Clive S; 12-11-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

None of my CNC modules get hot, i would think one fan would be ok, filtered inlet then fan with a vent at other side of cabinet.

Caps will/should not get hot or even warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    None of my CNC modules get hot, i would think one fan would be ok, filtered inlet then fan with a vent at other side of cabinet.

Caps will/should not get hot or even warm.
    They won't get warm until you put a load on them. I have two control boxes the router with 4 drives does not have any fans in the box is 500x500x250 and is fine.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    It's easy to worry about overheating but in practice, it's not a big problem on our size machines. On mine, I have two 12V fans just so that they cover a larger area and push a bit of breeze across the stepper drivers but I have wired them in series so that they run fairly slowly. Moves more than enough air. Similarly, I run the 12V spindle cooling pump on 5V and that works fine as well.

I also bought a 50V transformer for my machine (from Rapid Online), then realised that it was going to be a bit too high. Once you take into account the fact that input voltage can be some way above nominal, and the output voltage is a few per cent high to allow for voltage drop at full load, then it's easy to start nudging that 80V. In my case, I rang Rapid the day after the transformer arrived and they were happy to swap it for 45V, and even arranged a courier to pick up the old one. Good people to deal with. I'm now running at a nominal 68V which is bang on the money.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

I'm going to fit a inrush current limiter ntc thermistor
    https://www.ametherm.com/blog/inrush...s-got-you-down

I think this is suitable
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282728849186

as far as I can tell I just wire this inline to the mains, anyone had any experience of them?

Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread Information