. .
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    Seems it would be better to built the gantry spanning the shorter width of the machine? Any particular reason you are building it that way around?

Gantry tends to be the weak point in terms of allowing flex, the shorter the span the more rigid it will be for any given thickness/extrusion type.
    Morning,
    There's some logic in my madness lol I have 2 1.3m long supported rails 25mm and 2 1.5m 15mm hiwin with 4 carriages. The 25mm supported rail can handle very high load I know this because I recovered the rail from a commercial printer (I've bought new bearings all round) and it was originally carrying a very heavy gantry in the 100's of kg's and was lovely and smooth to move. The 15mm hiwin are probably nowhere near as strong so I decided that the 25mm supported rail should carry the most weight (Gantry and Z axis) and the Hiwin only carry the z axis.

I'm committed to making the long axis the gantry as I only have 1 1.4m ballscrew and 2 1m ballscrews.

The Gantry will be made from Heavy duty 100mm*50mm profile which I may or may not enclose in angle steel to strengthen it up.

I want to be able to process wood at a decent speed and occasionally aluminium reduced feed rate is fine and I have compressed air on tap in almost unlimited quantities during work hours.

I've had a score of more chunkier aluminium for the frame (I won't use for gantry it would eat too much travel) so the frame will be different and bit more square. I was going to cut down the supported rails to 1m but not going to do that now. Will update the model when I get the extrusion (Tomorrow hopefully I need to go cut it out a machine). By eye it looks like it's 9*13.5cm (2*3)
    Last edited by Desertboy; 23-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Fair enough, just curious.

I don't think a 100x50 will be sufficient for really good results in alu at 1.5m span, I would personally definitely consider what options you have for beefing it up.

Just out of interest, for science n'all, try clamping each end of the profile and with a dial gauge measure the deflection in the middle when you press against it. I'm betting you can get a fairly significant deflection with moderate force.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 23-05-2017 at 10:51 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Fair enough, just curious.

I don't think a 100x50 will be sufficient for really good results in alu at 1.5m span, I would personally definitely consider what options you have for beefing it up.

Just out of interest, for science n'all, try clamping each end of the profile and with a dial gauge measure the deflection in the middle when you press against it. I'm betting you can get a fairly significant deflection with moderate force.
    I was thinking something like this
    http://www.steelexpress.co.uk/struct...el/angles.html

100*65 7mm

fitted like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.png 
Views:	376 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	21748

Would add 14.2kg's + nuts & bolts to the gantry weight.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 23-05-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

That would no doubt help... maybe flip it around so you can still use your extrusion slots for mounting the rails (assuming that was your plan?).

Best option I think would probably be to use the steel as the mounting face and look into the self levelling epoxy method of getting a flat surface, but that may or may not fit in with your budget option. If not going that route, the question becomes which is the more precise mounting surface in terms of flatness - the steel or the aluminium.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 23-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

That would no doubt help... maybe flip it around so you can still use your extrusion slots for mounting the rails (assuming that was your plan?).

Best option I think would probably be to use the steel as the mounting face and look into the self levelling epoxy method of getting a flat surface, but that may or may not fit in with your budget option. If not going that route, the question becomes which is the more precise mounting surface in terms of flatness - the steel or the aluminium.
    It would be convenient to use the slots to mount the rails so maybe I should spin it round for now. I intend to upgrade or rebuild the machine what's most important is to get it working reasonable now and I will work out if it's better to start again or upgrade.

I really want 8*4 but I don't need it I actually need 4*2 (1/4 sheet) but I will get 1/3 sheet so happy with that.

Interesting with the self levelling epoxy will investigate but my supported rail and ballscrews on the bottom axis will be bolted into the extrusion directly.

Since I want to do aluminium would this be suitable
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Inch-A...0AAOSwzqFZAIzb

paired with a compressed air solenoid to clear the chips?

Was having issues getting my motor shaft to align with my ballscrew I'm around 0.5mm out. My friend checked my couplings out and they're flexible couplings but still going to try and get the motor shaft aligned. but they do seem to work fine.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 26-05-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Bit confused about what you are asking, what you linked to is literally just an inert container designed to hold oil and add it to a compressed air system to lubricate air tools.

You need a compressor, regulator (most compressors will have the regulator), an on/off switch (whether electronic solenoid or manual), and a nozzle. If you want mist, then really the best way to do it you will need two lines, one supplying coolant and one supplying air, ideally at different pressures (the coolant line only needs a very low pressure in my experience) and a mist coolant unit on the machine.

What you linked to wouldn't really be much use imo, the tank capacity is tiny - I use a 1 litre swimming pool filter container.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Bit confused about what you are asking, what you linked to is literally just an inert container designed to hold oil and add it to a compressed air system to lubricate air tools.

You need a compressor, regulator (most compressors will have the regulator), an on/off switch (whether electronic solenoid or manual), and a nozzle. If you want mist, then really the best way to do it you will need two lines, one supplying coolant and one supplying air, ideally at different pressures (the coolant line only needs a very low pressure in my experience) and a mist coolant unit on the machine.

What you linked to wouldn't really be much use imo, the tank capacity is tiny - I use a 1 litre swimming pool filter container.
    Yes I want mist! I will want to mill aluminium to the best quality I can do given the limitations of my machine. I will have the machine in an industrial unit which has a compressor airline point next to the machine which for my purposes can be considered always on with more capacity than I could ever need.

Do you have a pic of how you linked yours up?

I'm stalled until my mate at the scrap yard moves a printer (It's on top of a heap) for me so I can get the aluminium extrusion out AND 20-25mm twin hiwin style rail with carriages only short travel but I'm thinking for my Z axis.

The extrusion is T slot (Compatible with what I have now) It's 18cm*9cm (4 slots*2 slots) 6ft lengths which I'm going to use for mounting the supported rail and ballscrews on.

I'm going to cad it out in a minute but will make it a lot easier for me to build.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 26-05-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Actually as luck would have it I did recently post some pics here:

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10658...1180#post91180

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Actually as luck would have it I did recently post some pics here:

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10658...1180#post91180
    Lovely setup ;)

How thick are you mounting plates Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7tfafDv.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	21780

Once I get the extrusion together and mount the SBR and ballscrews I need to make mine which I'm so not looking forward to lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 26-05-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information