. .
Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    I call her Betty but it wasn't until she moved that I felt she was a Betty. After Betty Boo ;)

I was 13 when this came out lol now I feel old.

2 of the AM882's came robbing bastard UPS charged me £11.50 processing fee because I had £11 import tax, I will keep an eye on this in future UPS are scum make sure stuff is not shipped with them ever again.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 14-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

You feel old, I was 20 when this came out!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scooterist007 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by scooterist007 View Post
    You feel old, I was 20 when this came out!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I was going to suggest we should all have a meet but I doubt you could get all our zimmer frames through the door lol.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Sadly all the couriers (and indeed royal mail) have a very cheeky fee for paying the duty on your behalf... the only way around it really is either getting away without paying any duty in the first place, or buying with the duty pre-paid as is sometimes an option on ebay.

It's a fixed fee so not so bad when the duty is a couple hundred, but can seem very unfair to be paying more in extra courier fees than in import duty itself.

Machine is looking great and I agree, although your original budget went out the window I think you have built a very good machine for the money.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

I think my single greatest influence on here in how I built my machine was you Zeeflyboy, I saw your build was jealous lol.

I'm really glad I listened to your advice on 20mm plates, 15mm would have been too weak especially given I recessed the extrusion and 25mm too much given the size of Hiwin's.

the 15mm Hiwin's have 2 issues I see M4's are a PITA and the greasing is worse.

For the short term I'm going to directly oil my rail but longer term I will fit proper greasing points. I want to rebuild the Z completely, change the nema mounts and make it look a lot neater I give no shits about how it looks but as soon as I'm comfortable with the machine I want to build another one and flog this one then look becomes important.

I've limited my travel on the Z and the Y due to simple design mistakes made because I never cad the ballscrews and just worked off the engineering drawing's to give me the positions to align the DSG ballnut mounts. These are simple fixes on the Y it increases the travel from 85cm to 90cm which is no biggie but the Z axis I can go from 8cm to 20cm which is.

Still have 2 * 1.3m of SBR25 with 8 new bearings and 1 70cm piece just wondering what could I do with it? Thinking ballscrew driven vacuum former but it's crazy mad man plan cackle, cackle, mad scientist wink.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 14-09-2017 at 08:58 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Desertboy For This Useful Post:

http://www.southwestcnc.co.uk/joints.html

hmmm interesting joints for cnc machining although I had my own ideas of how to create a custom joint that looks good.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 15-09-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Started the PSU build quick question,

where do the grey and violet leads go I assume this is 1/2 the input coil?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170915_145203.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	22788

Name:	IMG_20170915_144324.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	22789

I have 2 primary cores 115v and 2 secondary cores 25v.

Not quite as pro as Joe's build I did it all by eye with a dewalt lol. And yes that's the side off a pc case lovely recycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OoQ...p_VyqY&index=1

Big props to Clive S and Joe Harris ;)

Name:	toroidal transformer.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	22793
    I think I need to connect blue and brown together and grey & violet to the mains?

I'll have the spade terminals for the bridge rectifier but do I solder to the capacitor's directly? And how do I ID which is live and neutral on the capacitor?
    Last edited by Desertboy; 15-09-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Ok what does it say on the side of the transformer

If the schematic that you have shown has come with the transformer then follow it.

on the sec. side short yel and black together then red and orange go to the AC side of the rectifier.

on the primary side short grey and violet together and connect the mains to brown and blue.

Before you connect the caps up measure the voltage on the secondary side of the transformer (it should be around 50v AC) With the caps connected DC side it should be about 70v dc (DON'T TOUCH THE CAPS WHEN THEY ARE CHARGED as they will bite you) without a load on they will stay charged for a long time.
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I think I need to connect blue and brown together and grey & violet to the mains?
    See my other post also the yellow and black are incorrect. The secondary wires go to the AC side on the rectifier you appear to have leads on the DC side

Edit turn the caps around in the holders so that all the +ve are on one side (you have them all in a straight line)
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-09-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Ok what does it say on the side of the transformer

If the schematic that you have shown has come with the transformer then follow it.

on the sec. side short yel and black together then red and orange go to the AC side of the rectifier.

on the primary side short grey and violet together and connect the mains to brown and blue.

Before you connect the caps up measure the voltage on the secondary side of the transformer (it should be around 50v AC) With the caps connected DC side it should be about 70v dc (DON'T TOUCH THE CAPS WHEN THEY ARE CHARGED as they will bite you) without a load on they will stay charged for a long time.
    Nice one! The diagram was from the datasheet on rapidonline's website.

I was using joe's psu as a guide

Name:	psu.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	22794

On Joe's he's connected the red & orange together, blue and brown are going to the mains, then he only has yellow and black (1 primary core I guess) which he has going at diagonal across the rectifier. I didn't really get what was going on how Joe has it wired but what you said is how I thought it should work ;)

I'll connect a 10k resistor like Joe across the outputs to discharge the capacitors but will avoid them been bitten more than once repairing ps2's.

Looking at the rectifier datasheet I can now see why it's connected diagonal

Name:	toroidal transformer 2.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	22795
    Last edited by Desertboy; 15-09-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information