. .
Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    Wondering about the stall protection? Do you know how it works?
    Black magic, pure and simple...

Given that there is some kind of microprocessor in the box, I suspect that it can monitor current draw, back EMF, and critical parameters like that. I know it works, but as for how, exactly...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

I managed to blag my old man to pay for 2 of my AM882's in exchange for driving 8-10 hours to the docks on Sunday in a week or 2 to collect a truck driver. I can afford another 2 AM882's going to order them on Monday but should I get 3 AM882's and D542T instead? Will I notice the difference putting an AM882 on the Z?

I didn't mention to my old man at the time I will still need a power supply lol, bought a cheap ass breakout board.

My gut is telling me just buy 4 AM882's after all if I have one fail I can get a D524T in 48 hours for £30 and swap the AM882's round to suit.

Of course with AM882's my 2nm look underpowered but my ballscrews are only 1605 so I would need to upgrade to 2510's on the X&Y to be worth also upgrading to 3nm nema 23's or even nema 24's on the Y. Possible future projects ;)
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I managed to blag my old man to pay for 2 of my AM882's in exchange for driving 8-10 hours to the docks on Sunday in a week or 2 to collect a truck driver. I can afford another 2 AM882's going to order them on Monday but should I get 3 AM882's and D542T instead? Will I notice the difference putting an AM882 on the Z?

I didn't mention to my old man at the time I will still need a power supply lol, bought a cheap ass breakout board.

My gut is telling me just buy 4 AM882's after all if I have one fail I can get a D524T in 48 hours for £30 and swap the AM882's round to suit.

Of course with AM882's my 2nm look underpowered but my ballscrews are only 1605 so I would need to upgrade to 2510's on the X&Y to be worth also upgrading to 3nm nema 23's or even nema 24's on the Y. Possible future projects ;)
    I dont know the tech details but buy once and buy right.

My own experience tells me this, otherwise it costs more time / money / problems in the long run.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Buy the AM882's you can then using them on another machine if you want to. 2510 screw will not be an upgrade on the machine you are building. Nema 23's 3.1Nm from cnc4you are the one's to buy.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I have to say in general I avoid buying cheap electronics... they are the biggest potential source of headaches and yet generally the easiest thing to transfer across to a new machine.

You definitely won't regret buying the AM882's, and if you decide to sell the machine after building a new one, you can buy those cheaper drivers to put in it then if you want to sell it as a working machine but bring your AM882's across to the new one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Gantry fits ;) Not bolted in yet just sitting in the recess's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gantry.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	551.3 KB 
ID:	22699

Again Nema aligns to ballscrew that's 4 for 4 ;)

Name:	gantry nema.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	22700
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Buy the AM882's you can then using them on another machine if you want to. 2510 screw will not be an upgrade on the machine you are building. Nema 23's 3.1Nm from cnc4you are the one's to buy.
    I've got 2nm nema 23's (2 recovered, 2 brand new) so I will use them for now but noted once I get everything else sorted I will have a look. As soon as I get it working properly I want to order another 1400mm 1605 ballscrew and swap the gantry round to the more traditional shortest span setup.

Nice! :-)
    I see an extra bolt laying in the extrusion groove, what kind of sorcery is that?Lol !
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 01-09-2017 at 02:35 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    I have to say in general I avoid buying cheap electronics... they are the biggest potential source of headaches and yet generally the easiest thing to transfer across to a new machine.

You definitely won't regret buying the AM882's, and if you decide to sell the machine after building a new one, you can buy those cheaper drivers to put in it then if you want to sell it as a working machine but bring your AM882's across to the new one.
    From what I understood if I do sell it I will need to sell it with at least 2 AM882's for stall protection on my Y (Bottom dual ballscrew axis) unless I'm just a bastard lol.

Sage advice though spend more but once rather than 3 times and on the 3rd time buying the thing you should have bought the first time lol.

I've not only been there, done that but I bought 3 printers trying to print the T shirt lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Nice! :-)
    I see an extra bolt laying in the extrusion groove, what kind of sorcery is that?
    I never even noticed that lol would explain the rattling noise the extrusion was making when I trying to get it into the gantry mounts which was not easy.

I had the plates recessed 5mm either side so the extrusion sits tight inside the aluminium plate, I had it made to a tight fit. Trying to get it on was not easy lol but once it slipped into the recess it was super tight and very nice! Top work Chaz making the plates and top work KJN aluminium for cutting the aluminium so accurately.

You can see the recess better on the picture Chaz took ;) The Hiwin's were meant to recess into the plate as well but I got the measurements slightly off and they didn't so rather than try and ground the plate out I chopped 1.5cm off the Hiwin's and then they don't need to be recessed.

Name:	35906760453_c92451653f_b.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	22701

And Nice one Zeeflyboy on the plate advice I used 20mm tooling plate for the gantry mounts, 15mm tooling plate for the back of the Z axis and 20mm tooling plate for the front of the Z axis. The rest was made from recovered aluminium (Nema mounts, BK12/BF12 mounts & spacers). I cannot believe I was going to go with 3mm steel for the gantry mounts that would have been pointless exercise in futility.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 01-09-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information