. .
Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Power is turned off on the estate for 24 hours whilst they upgrade the transformers (They've added 22 acres of warehousing on our estate in 2 years!) so having a relaxing weekend.

So time for some tunes
    Last edited by Desertboy; 16-09-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

You think UPS are bad, DHL charge you for just importing the damn parcel even if there's no tax on it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexDoran For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDoran View Post
    You think UPS are bad, DHL charge you for just importing the damn parcel even if there's no tax on it.
    Fedex were real good I got charged £15 on my ballscrews not sure how much was there charge if any. I got lucky as they cost over £250 so £15 was peanuts.

They were marked as 2nd hand value $5 each good old Chinese. Customs didn't buy it but they also didn't put the £55 they should have ;)
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Had to go work at 4am this morning and then drive for 11 hours so not in the mood lol but when I got back work a nice surprise the other AM882's came with NO import tax!

Just luck of the draw but now have all 4 so really have no excuse to get her cutting this weekend ;)

Including the import tax I paid £215 for all 4 2nd hand not sure how good a deal that is compared to new from UK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	am882.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	22844

Spindle is on

Name:	spindle on.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	22845

My spindle mount drilling is atrocious (Table slipped) some how I got it on straight and tight but I'm going to buy another one and use my machine to get it straight this time. I won't chuck the old one though I will fill the holes with chemical metal and then when I rebuild the Z axis I will use 2 spindle mounts one on top the other to get a really tight spindle.

£17 for another mount not the worst mistake and it will work for now.

I would really like joystick control and digital readout wondering if Linuxcnc would support this with an analog joystick. I'm thinking get a flight sim stick and a throttle then if possible I could use the throttle for spindle speed now that would be uber cool if you had an air cooled spindle you could literally close your eyes and pretend your in a plane lol.

e2a ordered another mount will do it right next time not worth messing about, will take me at least a few days to wire this up.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-09-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Name:	breakout.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	22850

I'm confused where everything goes and how to wire it up. I'll try and explain what I understand please correct me where wrong I normally am lol.

I can see the X, Y, Z & A pul/dir go to the AM882's, the power from the stepper motor PSU goes directly to the drivers not through the BOB.

I think the limit switches one wire to each input and the other wire to the shared gnd? I need 2 limit switches for my Y and 1 for my X can I reconfigure the Z axis limit to be my 2nd Y? I want to set linuxcnc up so it squares the gantry. I'm going to use microswitches for now but I might use inductive sensor instead do I simply find 12v for the sensor elsewhere and wire 1 wire to the Axis input and 1 to the GND?

Tool setting is this the input you would run a probe to? Again is it a shared gnd?

Emergency stop run my stop button to it AND the outputs from the AM882 for stall protection.

I believe I don't need the enable pin out

PWM must be pulse width modulation but for what?

PC GND and the 2 PC 5v outputs where do they go?

the spindle on/off and 0-10v are self expanatory but the 12-24v is that an input for driving the board? If not what is it used for. I thought the board was powered by 5v from the USB socket.

What does the relay jumper do?

Thanks
    Desertboy
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-09-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think the limit switches one wire to each input and the other wire to the shared gnd? I need 2 limit switches for my Y and 1 for my X can I reconfigure the Z axis limit to be my 2nd Y? I want to set linuxcnc up so it squares the gantry. I'm going to use microswitches for now but I might use inductive sensor instead do I simply find 12v for the sensor elsewhere and wire 1 wire to the Axis input and 1 to the GND?
    You are going to have a problem with this bob because you won't have enough inputs to do what you are trying to do.
    for instance that bob and most simple bobs only have 5 inputs. You will need two for the homing for the slaved axis. Then you have all the limits they can be wired in series to one input that leaves two. you have to home Z and the other axis. So the probe is out of the question.

Emergency stop run my stop button to it AND the outputs from the AM882 for stall protection.
    The E/S button would not be connected to the stall on the EM882 This should be cutting power to the drives power supplies etc. though a contactor or whatever.

the 12-24v is that an input for driving the board? If not what is it used for. I thought the board was powered by 5v from the USB socket.
    The 12-24v power is for the inputs and the 5V is to power the BOB. connect the two power -ve together. I would not use power from the usb for anything.

If you are using linuxcnc I would download the 2.8 master branch and get to see how it works. Also I would connect one thing up at a time and see if it works as intended then move on to the next problem.

edit:
    What does the relay jumper do?
    this changes what pin 17 will do, you have two choices either the relay OR the B axis dir. You can't have both.
    Last edited by Clive S; 22-09-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You are going to have a problem with this bob because you won't have enough inputs to do what you are trying to do.
    for instance that bob and most simple bobs only have 5 inputs. You will need two for the homing for the slaved axis. Then you have all the limits they can be wired in series to one input that leaves two. you have to home Z and the other axis. So the probe is out of the question.

The E/S button would not be connected to the stall on the EM882 This should be cutting power to the drives power supplies etc. though a contactor or whatever.

The 12-24v power is for the inputs and the 5V is to power the BOB. connect the two power -ve together. I would not use power from the usb for anything.

If you are using linuxcnc I would download the 2.8 master branch and get to see how it works. Also I would connect one thing up at a time and see if it works as intended then move on to the next problem.
    I ordered a 2nd BOB and PCI parallel port card would this give me the extra inputs I need?

I was going to run 5v from a molex connection on the PC PSU to a usb plug would this be ok? I assume you just don't want to use a real usb port on a pc the connection itself is reliable.

Not worried about probe for now I just want it to work I know that at some point the BOB will have to go in favour of a proper controller but we can worry about that after xmas ;)

If I don't stop spending money on this router soon it will be a crap Xmas lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I ordered a 2nd BOB and PCI parallel port card would this give me the extra inputs I need?
    You can if you can configure the pci PP ok but you are giving yourself a big learning curve.

Re the 5V then connect it to the terminals on the bob.

If it was me in your position with no knowledge on Linuxcnc then I would get the router working with Mach3 first. Remember you have also to build the game table as well. I think you missed your September deadline
    Last edited by Clive S; 22-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You can if you can configure the pci PP ok but you are giving yourself a big learning curve.

Re the 5V then connect it to the terminals on the bob.

If it was me in your position with no knowledge on Linuxcnc then I would get the router working with Mach3 first. Remember you have also to build the game table as well. I think you missed your September deadline
    October 18th is the day but we already planned around it ;)

Instead of struggling the plan is to try and hit November 18th and with my mates GF help going to get the cabinet installed whilst he's at work ;) It'll be a hell of a Bday surprise 1 month late lol but he'll never see it coming.

I'd rather make it right then make it crap even if I do miss the date, I already know I'm going to build at least 2 tables, the first one a mockup and the 2nd one hopefully will be the delivered item. I've spent a long time looking at joints for wood I think the key to making the table uber nice is excellent quality wood and good joints going to be a proper real wood table no laminated MDF shit.

I'm going to have a go with linuxcnc (I have compiled gentoo from source so not completely unfamiliar with linux itself) but if I can't get it to work within a couple of days I'll have to go mach 3 route but hadn't budgeted for a copy and also I like linux I get a kick out of open source. I always use open source software if appropriate so I have libreoffice and gimp which does everything I need it to unlike my friends that have crap pirated copies of office and photoshop to type a letter or resize images lol.

I've done some of the graphics for printing on the marquee plates, I'm going to embed them under the glass one below the monitor and one above it, monitor will be mount into the table.

This is one of themClick image for larger version. 

Name:	space impact 1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	22855

getting my mates signature without him knowing wasn't easy lol but he wrote the game on the nokia phone so it seemed appropriate.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Another opinion...

5 BOB inputs is just enough. I'm assuming you are using microswitches here - it gets a whole lot more messy if you want to use inductive sensors. All limit switches and home switches can be wired in series to one BOB input except the X slave home switch which must have its own input. I would only use one X limit switch, BTW - that should be fine. One input for touch plate. One input for estop and fault signals in series. This is because a motor stall fault needs everything to stop fast before the gantry gets twisted sideways. And there's still one input spare!

If you really wanted, you could take the Y home switch to the spare input. This buys you the ability to simultaneously home X and Y to save a second or two during homing. I've done that on my machine just because it looks neat but it's hardly essential.

I'm afraid I don't know how slave axis homing works with LCNC - I switched to Mach3 from LCNC before slave homing became available.

I would take 5V to the 5V input terminals. The 12-24V input is for a separate PSU and you would need that to use the 0-10V analogue output for VFD speed control. Otherwise the BOB can't generate enough output volts from the 5V supply - common problem with 5V BOBs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information