. .
Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Not much to report just waiting for the plates but have bought a 2nd hand PC so I can run Fusion 360, think I did ok.

3.4ghz I7 2400k (performance is about 15% of the latest I7's ghz for ghz mostly down to DD4 I bet), 8gb of ram but will ditch and get 4*8gb DDR3 dimms 2nd hand £72 so have 32gb of ram, fitting a GTX760, new power supply and SSD so will be a significant improvement on present PC for under £400 ;)

I could actually play games on this but not going to have time with learning Fusion, CAM and not killing my customers who do all deserve to die.

If I had the cash I would have bought Ryzon 8 core jobbie but need to get proper steppers and PSU next so scrimp and save every penny ;)
    Last edited by Desertboy; 18-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170819_113200.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	572.2 KB 
ID:	22608 The ballscrew will have a mount either end to bolt into just laid it roughly where it's going to go, Hiwin's bolted on finally need to cut them down.

This will be the gantry (Has clone Hiwin's on)

Name:	IMG_20170819_111242.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	616.1 KB 
ID:	22609

3 individual pieces 2 * 4545 and 1*9045 will drill 5 holes through the 4545 and bolt using T nuts to the 9045 to reduce flex.

The Hiwin problem anyone who's used 15mm Hiwin's and a 1605 ballscrew knows this problem lol, it doesn't affect my Y axis because the ballscrews are at right angles to the Hiwin's but the gantry and Z axis both had this problem which I solved with a combination of spacers and recesses.

Name:	IMG_20170819_113247.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	424.0 KB 
ID:	22611

Aluminium extrusion is strong but not that strong lol

Name:	IMG_20170819_113613.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	513.3 KB 
ID:	22612

Heavy duty 6045 I found under the mess when the shelf collapsed this will get cut down for leg supports now.

I still have 2 pieces of the SBR left with bearing this will be the basis for my positive pressure vac former ballscrew driven naturally.

Name:	IMG_20170819_112846.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	557.9 KB 
ID:	22610
    I can say from personal experience DO NOT BUY EVOLUTION TABLE SAW it's total shit!
    Last edited by Desertboy; 19-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I can say from personal experience DO NOT BUY EVOLUTION TABLE SAW it's total shit!
    That's a shame, I have the big Evolution cutoff saw and I use it for all sorts of things, it did sterling service cutting a load of old thick wall galvanised imperial scaffold poles into manageable lengths, you need a squirt of WD for ally cutting to avoid clogging up the blade and you must clear the blade if you do clog it.
    Just don't try cutting Titanuim, it will eat the blade, don't ask how I know! ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    That's a shame, I have the big Evolution cutoff saw and I use it for all sorts of things, it did sterling service cutting a load of old thick wall galvanised imperial scaffold poles into manageable lengths, you need a squirt of WD for ally cutting to avoid clogging up the blade and you must clear the blade if you do clog it.
    Just don't try cutting Titanuim, it will eat the blade, don't ask how I know! ;-)

- Nick
    The saw is really good it's the rest of the table that's crap lol, plastic has no place in a table saw! The fence is useless and the table is coming to pieces. I've often thought about taking the saw out and rebuilding it with a real table.

I have an evolution mitre that's a lot better machine but still flimsy it's great for home use but if you've got any commercial uses I think Axminister is a better choice. My friend has done many a house up with his evolution but his tolerances are lot lower than mine.

If you do get clogged teeth from aluminium I found cutting a bit of scrap steel cleans it out fine again but good advice I usually add a tiny amount of SAS (Think it's the same stuff as WD).

Screwfix sell evolution compatible blades for 1/2 the price I have one on my machine at moment can honestly say they are as good the proper ones.

As for eating blades also don't try and cut SBR25 rail with it either lol blunted the blade in and made a slight groove in the rail. Afterwards blades would not cut wood anymore just burn it ;)

In the end I cut the rail with a £1 cutting disc and grinder in about 30 seconds, right tool for the job lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 19-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.

My custom nema mount and bK12/Bf12 mounts work pefectly

Name:	IMG_20170820_154059.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	523.4 KB 
ID:	22618

BK12/BF12 mount countersunk bolts so the bolts go from underneath the other 2 holes are to bolt into the T nuts.

Name:	IMG_20170820_154208.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	22622

The ballnut & spacer bolt in perfectly although I removed the bolts again as they need to be cut down 5mm.

Name:	IMG_20170820_154137.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	463.6 KB 
ID:	22619

Name:	IMG_20170820_155550.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	517.0 KB 
ID:	22620
    Last edited by Desertboy; 20-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Desertboy For This Useful Post:

Nice build, I am watching.

I've used and abused my big evolution sliding mitre saw over the last couple of years and it's still trucking, I've been very happy with the value for money. It's a little... agricultural... certainly not a precision tool and despite my best efforts I've never been able to completely square it up but it chomps through everything I throw at it, and I use it a lot for chopping up 20mm alu plate but have cut paving slabs, stone tiles, steel, alu, PVC pipe, copious amounts of wood. it's never complained!

Build is looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    I've used and abused my big evolution sliding mitre saw over the last couple of years and it's still trucking, I've been very happy with the value for money. It's a little... agricultural... certainly not a precision tool and despite my best efforts I've never been able to completely square it up but it chomps through everything I throw at it, and I use it a lot for chopping up 20mm alu plate but have cut paving slabs, stone tiles, steel, alu, PVC pipe, copious amounts of wood. it's never complained!

Build is looking good!
    The saw bit is great on my evolution it's the table bit that's crap lol, I to cut 20mm aluminium plate on my table saw and the table saw still has it's original blade. The mitre blade is the one I blunted trying to cut SBR but guess that's hardened. Screwfix sell evolution copy blades for ~£10 each they're pretty good.

Never could get my mitre square either lol.

I should chop the end of the Hiwin's to make it flush but it feels a sin to chop 20cm off original Hiwin's and if I swap the gantry round the shortest way and buy new ballscrews I can get another 10cm of travel out of it.

I already know if I keep this for any length of time will change the ballscrews to 2510's and swap the gantry round.

I tried to increase the chances of making a reasonable machine by outsourcing the manufacturing which I think was the best decision I made in my life lol. All I have to do is get the cad right ;)

I've already made 2 mistakes lol, I missed a counterbore but this is a non issue I can sort myself, one of the ballnut recesses is not long enough this is more of an issue but think we might solve it with a hand router and a jig.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 21-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Lovely gantry parts you have there Desertboy. They look awfully familiar.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35906760573_804fd090f8_b.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	22647  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Lovely gantry parts you have there Desertboy. They look awfully familiar.

They do there don't they lol, a big thanks for Chaz helping me out here couldn't have done it without him ;) Was leaving the big reveal for when the machine moved ha ha ha but confidence is a lot higher that it will all be good.

This is my first CNC machine and I designed it myself with a vague idea how my reprap moved lol, the best advice I got so far I think was using 20mm tooling plate for the gantry ;) Then ditch the SBR for the Hiwin's.

Very happy with my plates from Chaz and the only issues I have come across come from me not measuring everything out properly! After mentioning exactly that in Zeeflyboy's thread I should be super embarrassed lol.

What happens when you don't bother modelling everything and use some lines and data from the engineering drawings lol.

And let me say Thor might look impressive but when she moves the earth moves with her lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 21-08-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread Information