At least the PSU works ;)
    Nice!
    Must feel great :D

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    Nice!
    Must feel great :D

Relieved ;) I tested it without the capacitors but since I put it together properly I hadn't tested it will try to remember to test the output voltage tomorrow.

I have no resistor on the output of the PSU so the capacitors remain charged at moment what's the best way to discharge them or should I just shield them so you can't touch the easily instead?

I'm going to wire a 32amp socket to the wall and then from that to the junction box, from there to the PSU, VFD and to a double wall socket.

The PSU and spindle will be fed through a 13amp switch first so I can turn them on/off with a single flip.

For now though it's wired to a 13 amp plug, I don't think it's wise though to run the machine, PC and vacuum cleaner on a 13 amp socket.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 03-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I have no resistor on the output of the PSU so the capacitors remain charged at moment what's the best way to discharge them or should I just shield them so you can't touch the easily instead?

I'm going to wire a 32amp socket to the wall and then from that to the junction box, from there to the PSU, VFD and to a double wall socket.

The PSU and spindle will be fed through a 13amp switch first so I can turn them on/off with a single flip.
    The best way to drain the caps is to short them with a screwdriver :D just kidding :D

I have no clue how British electrical distribution works. All this talk of 13 amp rings is just mumbo-jumbo to me.
    I have 3 phases with 16 amps each for my shed. Will do control cabinet and maybe vfd on one. Dustextraction on one and air compressor on one so nothing bad happens when it all maxes out :)

This is at my work (Dad owns it), I have 3 phase but my dad wants me to fit a single phase socket otherwise I'd fit a 32amp 3 phase and tap 1 of the phases.

I have compressed air on tap 24/7 which is nice and one less thing for me to worry about.

I have wired from the AM882 to the BOB incorrectly

is this diagram correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breakout board.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	326.4 KB 
ID:	23133

I have from dir- and dir+ wired to BOB at moment, I haven't powered the BOB on yet.

For anyone else wondering how to easily get 12v to their BOB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-5-to-5...jN32RjLOZ7GUXQ

I haven't got time to wait for an order so will go with tapping molex's from the PC to for 12v and to power the fans to cool toroidal transformers and stepper drivers.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 03-11-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Having issues getting PC to talk to machine, first I tried linuxcnc but doesn't see my pci parallel port card, then I tried mach 3 doesn't work on 64 bits windows, the I dug out a spar pc didn't work so went to swap motherboard and discovered new one doesn't have parallel port.

Had enough for now came home to see if I can find my windows Vista cd sure that's 32 bit never thought I'd use that again lol.

Otherwise anyone got a pc with parallel port going to a good home near Leicester ;)

I tested the spindle for the first time today got to work out where to mount the VFD.

Last edited by Desertboy; 08-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.

A lot of frustrating hours later still no movement but we have discovered that my parallel port pci card only works in serial mode!

After much research I've bought a 2nd hand 2 port PCI parallel port card with a compatible chipset for both mach 3 and linuxcnc, 2 male to male cables and a 2nd BOB. (It's a Netmos)

After Xmas I'm going to get a usb BOB, are these any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-Stock-...c=1&rmvSB=true

Or should I plump for a better controller.

I'm going to strip everything out and rebuild it better in another case lol and add in CY cable 2 core for the microswitches.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 08-11-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    A lot of frustrating hours later still no movement but we have discovered that my parallel port pci card only works in serial mode!

We shall see what I can sort today.
    I feel for you!!

This is why I didn't want to even try the PP-way.
    I wanted to find a semi old pc with 32bit OS and PP and make it work on the cheap.
    Rejected that idea and bought a motion controller from the start. Hope it was a smart move :D

This is why I didn't want to even try the PP-way.
    There are thousands of machines using the pp its just as hard to set up a motion controller the principles are the same
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    There are thousands of machines using the pp its just as hard to set up a motion controller the principles are the same
    Yes, I know.
    But with modern pc and add on hardware it's becoming harder and harder.
    Just buying a card won't always work.
    I only look at this from the Microsoft perspective and that's a bit narrow but that's the only way I feel inclined to go.
    And when thinking that way you realise that soon there will even be problems getting your hands on 32bit OS supporting PP...

Of course if you have an older pc/system that works and works standalone without Internet and such it's awsome and don't justify an upgrade. But what happens when something breaks?

I do belive that an motion controller is as/maybe more difficult to set up but much easier to get a electrical connection between pc and cnc hardware.

Since I haven't actually tried both options I could be extremely wrong :D

Problems my PSU stopped working (Possibly unrelated but one of my AM882 had a solid red light the other 3 flashing green, I wonder if this had something to do with it or if I have a bad AM882).

99% certain it can be traced to a short I caused at weekend when electrician set my ameter up wrong and I shorted across my PSU output never realised it'd done this damage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0080.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	781.5 KB 
ID:	23164 They were plugged into the left connectors I just cut the wiring put new terminals and tried it in the terminals next door to see if I had gotten lucky but I hadn;t.

There was a pop/bang and spark from roughly where the capacitors are.

I've ordered 3 new capacitors and a new rectifier (Sure this is fine but £1 so just did it) and replacement barrier terminals.

What's the best way to test the transformers to make sure it's ok? I was thinking unplug the capacitors and then test the voltage going into the rectifier in AC mode to see what I'm getting and then test the output of the rectifier in DC mode to see if that's working does this sound like a plan?

Do you think I might have damaged my AM882's (I really hope not can't afford to replace this side of xmas)? And if I have a bad AM882 will be fun trying to sort with the Chinese (Bought 2nd hand) and will have to put a temp cheap driver to get going whilst I source a replacement.

I can afford to replace one Am882 but not 4.

How do I discharge the capacitors before I unsolder them to replace them and also how do I test which one(s) blown?

I just realised I have a picture of my AM882 that was always red and it was green last week!

Since I have AM882h could I not ditch the rectifier and capacitors altogether and just connect the output of the transformer (50v) to the drivers?
    Last edited by Desertboy; 08-11-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Page 31 of 63 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread Information