. .
Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Can I mix stepper drivers temporarily? I budgeted it out and can afford 3 Am882 and the power supply today and can borrow a DM542T for a couple of months of my mate.

Could I get away with this setup use the AM882's for X&Y and the DM542T for the Z? I would power the DM542T with the 24v and the AM882 with the new build PSU.

I'd buy another AM882 ASAP obviously but would like to start playing.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 29-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    Can I mix stepper drivers temporarily? I budgeted it out and can afford 3 Am882 and the power supply today and can borrow a DM542T for a couple of months of my mate.

Could I get away with this setup use the AM882's for X&Y and the DM542T for the Z? I would power the DM542T with the 24v and the AM882 with the new build PSU.

I'd buy another AM882 ASAP obviously but would like to start playing.
    This should work without a problem ;)

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 36 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    No problem with that - I use EM806 for X and Y, and a recycled M752 from my old router for Z. I was able to use the same 68V PSU for all of them but it's fine to run them off separate supplies if needed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I have no idea how to make sure the gantry is properly square though in the first place, pretty certain a set square isn't going to cut it lol.
    Machinist's square is one option, but they are expensive. I got a 200mmx130mm one (square to 0.005mm/150mm or better) from starret for about 80 quid with a 20% off code.

You can make a less perfect square work by flipping it and averaging the results, but once you get into the lower ranges of measurement just the flatness of the edge can become problematic and that's harder to cancel out.

You can also drill a square with diagonals that you can measure with eg a digital calliper (100x100mm square will give an easy to measure distance that your typical digital calliper will reach). Insert some dowels and measure the corner to corner distance. If both corners are equally spaced diagonally then it's square, if one is longer than the other then it's forming a parallelogram and is leaning towards the top corner of the longer diagonal...

One problem you'll probably encounter, which I also have on my current machine, is that your extrusions aren't particularly flat or straight. You will have varying curves along the axis rather than a perfectly straight line which makes fine tuning the squareness extremely difficult if not impossible as it varies from one section of the bed to another... so you just have to do the best you can.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 29-08-2017 at 04:32 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 36 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I used the holes-at-corner-of-100mm-square technique to set up my gantry, and it's surprisingly sensitive to small errors. We're not talking super-accurate toolroom standards here, but for woodworking use it's more than good enough. I used a 6mm drill to make the holes and then 4 more with shanks inserted in holes as dowels. A digital caliper is pretty much essential for this as it's difficult to read a vernier caliper when it's in the middle of the bed.

I wrote a little bit of gcode to drill the holes so that I could guarantee approaching each hole in the same direction to take any backlash out of the equation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Absolutely... you can theoretically detect around 15 seconds of arc with callipers that have 0.01mm resolution using a 100mm square.

That's about 0.004 degrees

If you nail it to within a couple of hundredth's of a mm then you have a pretty damn square machine. Depending on where I do the square on my machine mine it will be anywhere from about 0.02 to 0.09mm out iirc.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 29-08-2017 at 04:58 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Poor photo's but got the final plate today all lines up ;)

I must have made one of the tightest Z axis ever lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z axis 1.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	22697

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z axis.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	464.1 KB 
ID:	22698

One more plate to collect tomorrow morning (Needed to have 4 10mm holes enlarged got an engineering firm to do it) and we can finally put it all together.

Been very happy with my nema to ballscrew alignement 3 of the 4 are perfect not tried the 4th one yet (Gantry motor) but I'm hoping we got 4 for 4.

The bolts in the Z axis top plate are 1mm too long at moment so need to cut them down as well.

I was worried about the Z plate most of all and it all seems good there's a couple of holes to counterbore in the Z axis but simple job.

I was going to chop my Hiwin's down for the Z axis but I'm going to leave them sticking over the top of the Z axis so if I do want to rebuild the Z I can get more travel, my travel is just over 8cm at moment.

When the top plate was being made an end mill broke hence the nasty bit on the top where the scratches are. The part is functionally perfect and the spindle mount is bolted onto this plate so it's also not visible so it would be pointless to remake and a waste of money.

The scratches I made when I was filing down round where the end mill had broke.

Big thanks to Chaz for making the plates and it was a pure pleasure to see Thor and an experience to feel her move lol, Thor truly is something else.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Do the AM882's work with 4 wire nema 23's?

Yes - even 8-wire motors have their windings either in series or parallel so they end up as 4-wire at the driver.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Yes - even 8-wire motors have their windings either in series or parallel so they end up as 4-wire at the driver.
    Wondering about the stall protection? Do you know how it works?

Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information