. .

Thread: Feeler FTL 618

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Make sure you are sitting down before calling them, failing that move all things with sharp sticky out bits so you don't hit them on the way down..:rofl:
    They do seem a bit pricey, but the Hardingeus.com has an e commerce option where you can order on line. The idler gear is £36.30 in the UK but $36.00 in the US (£21.90). Maybe I'll order my bits from the States.
    Unfortunately the idler is out of stock. TYPICAL!!!!

2. Maybe I'll order my bits from the States.
    They won't let you ! I tried to order a couple of belts online; it took my order everything seems fine, then the next day I got a call from Hardinge UK saying "you don't want to order from the US you'll have to pay import duty..." etc. etc. When I pressed him for the UK price it was three times that quoted online, plus VAT plus carriage - I told him where to go!.

I then got an email from Hardinge US saying they do not except orders from UK!!!

(I am waiting for my brother to go to the US later this year - he'll have some shopping to do :))

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    They won't let you ! I tried to order a couple of belts online; it took my order everything seems fine, then the next day I got a call from Hardinge UK saying "you don't want to order from the US you'll have to pay import duty..." etc. etc. When I pressed him for the UK price it was three times that quoted online, plus VAT plus carriage - I told him where to go!.

I then got an email from Hardinge US saying they do not except orders from UK!!!

(I am waiting for my brother to go to the US later this year - he'll have some shopping to do :))
    Fortunately I have an office in the States, I'll get them to buy them and forward to me. Should save a fair bit that way. If you need bits let me know, maybe we can get them in one hit.

4. If you need bits let me know, maybe we can get them in one hit.
    I may have to take you up on that; my brother's job in the states has been cancelled and he's been sent to Paris instead :( I could do with a pair of belts.

Let me know if you're ordering and I'll sort out the part numbers and some dosh.

No problem with the belts. I won't be placing my order until I have got the thing stripped down and checked out. If you need your belts earlier let me know and I can arrange them separately. If you look on the US web site, they now have an e commerce section, put in the the part numbers for the belts and they will give you a price and availability.

I've now got the carriage apart and guess what! The gear rack is no good. It has been repaired badly, see pics. I think I need a new one. I've been on to Hardinge because they show two types on their site, English and Metric, but nothing about the EM model. They were being quite helpful until I told them it was for a Feeler at which point they told me that their super precision parts were not suitable for that Taiwanese copied crap and cleared down on me.
    So, mine has a 70 tooth major and 14 tooth minor. If anyone has a similar gear in their machine can they tell me if it's metric or imperial and I'll order it from Hardinge. It may make my Taiwanese copied crap more accurate!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031[1].jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	795  

The saddle on my machine, along with the GIB is teflon coated and this looks to be in good nick, however it looks like the cross slide have been reworked to replace the slide surface at some time. It look slike a fairly good job, unless it's supposed to be like this but I doubt it. I don't think that I'll bother with this right now. A little more disturbing is the lead screw which looks to have sheared it's taper pin at some time and has been redrilled to take a thin nut and bolt. This I will look at to maybe get back to the taper pin arrangement.
    Everything else looks fine. I would guess that the machine has been completely rebuilt at some time in the past. I'll still change all bearings that I come across as I go as these seem fairly cheap and I can get them from a local bearing supplier.

Name:	IMG_0039[1].jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040[4].jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	855.5 KB 
ID:	797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0042[1].jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0037[1].jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0038[1].jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	1,011.9 KB 
ID:	800  

8. So, mine has a 70 tooth major and 14 tooth minor. If anyone has a similar gear in their machine can they tell me if it's metric or imperial and I'll order it from Hardinge. It may make my Taiwanese copied crap more accurate!!!
    I always wondered if Feeler's were 'approved' Hardinge copies, I guess I have the answer now :) FWIW I understand that Feeler's are very good and very well made.

Attached is the best picture I have of my (imperial) apron gears I count 14 on the small gear and 70 on the larger one (there's is a bit of guess work involved - so please re-count them and double check)

That's an interesting repair job - something similar was suggested for mine by Jim Rozen over on the practical machinist site:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-h-174652.html with a bit of silver soldering and a spray and re-grind your gear would be probably be perfectly usable.

[edit] BTW if Hardinge insist on a serial number before quoting for parts etc. Mine is HLV-H 397

[edit2] BTW have you tried Feeler for spares?http://www.feeler.com/en_products.asp

[edit3] Thinking about it, your lathe will be imperial i.e. 8tpi lead-screw, 10tpi dials because the dials and gearbox convert english to metric not vice versa. Only an all metric machine would have metric threads and a different carriage gear :)

Name:	apron counted.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	801  
    Last edited by BillTodd; 27-08-2009 at 11:48 PM.

I make the same count as you, 70 and 14. I had a chat with a mate who has a machine shop. He says that one off gear hobbing is pretty expensive so I guess I'll order the one from Hardinge at 210 dollars. Converting to 130 quid it seems like the simplest method right now. While I'm at it I'll get some other small bits that seem to have gone missing over time.
    I'm not really worried about the stupid comments from Hardinge. I know some guys who have had both Hardinge and Feelers at the same time and they say that the feeler compares well.

10. Converting to 130 quid it seems like the simplest method right now
    It cost me £70 quid to have my gear sprayed and ground, so £130 doesn't too bad at all (it's a very nicely made gear ;))

Just as a check (in case Feeler haven't copied hardinge exactly) ,it'd be worth visually comparing my gear with yours:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/attach...1&d=1234469223
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/attach...6&d=1236984035

The large bearing is 3/4" ID and just under an inch OD (presumably for a press fit)
    According to my parts list the hardinge bearing part number is now FLH1481 (Replacing 6700) . I found an equivalent double seal needle roller at Simply Bearings but chose to make a bronze bush instead.

I can't remember the sizes of the small end (I'd guess 7/8"). Hardinge part is LH4144-1

The gear itself is FLH1402 (from mid '71 onwards)

[edit] BTW there's a .pdf parts list etc. here: http://www.chudov.com/manuals/Hardinge/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information