. .
    I owned a Chinese SHG 4040 cnc router. It has been out of my hands and with a new owner for the last three years, when I re-bought it back from him, apart from the hand controller was missing, the spindle gets really hot within about thirty seconds you definitely would not be able to touch the spindle case and holding it would burn your hand, I dont mean warm or very warm, this is really hot.
    Is there anything that I could have done wrong? I'v re-lubed the internal bearings. The machine had done no work atall from new since I owned it and the new (now Old) owner said that he had not even switched it on, but he could be telling porkies. It was left in an unheated garage and in a fairly dirty/ rusty state when I collected it from him. (Drove all the way from Ireland to Derby to collect it)
    I havn't rewired the machine and connections 1, 2 and 3 on the four pin plug/sockets go to the VFD and pin 4 goes to earth, all looks OK there .
    Any ideas anybody, before I go and buy a new 1.5kw 80mm ER16 spindle to replace this one ??
    thanks in advance, mike Galway, Ireland

Daft question. I'm sure you've checked, but it's not a water cooled spindle is it?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeconcannon View Post
    I havn't rewired the machine and connections 1, 2 and 3 on the four pin plug/sockets go to the VFD and pin 4 goes to earth, all looks OK there .
    Any ideas anybody, before I go and buy a new 1.5kw 80mm ER16 spindle to replace this one ??
    thanks in advance, mike Galway, Ireland
    A water cooled spindle would not get that hot in 30min Do you think the guy has altered the vdf settings I would disconnect the spindle and check the perams. Also using an ohm meter check the resistance between the 3 cables to the spindle and also to earth.
    Last edited by Clive S; 01-05-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

No it's not water cooled and it's not aircooled with fan assist either, its just a cylinder of steel. I originaly bought it in 2005 so probably before the better cooled spindles we have these days.
    It was suggested to me today,. that it is perhaps a 110 volt spindle and that the fella that the machine was with, swapped my good 240 volt one for this 110 volt one, does that sound feasible? is there any way to check if a winding on a motor is 240v or 110v?

VFD set to 240v out with a 110v spindle, are you allowed top swear on this forum

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    VFD set to 240v out with a 110v spindle, are you allowed top swear on this forum
    Do you now have it working as it is not clear from the above. Have you set the parameters up in the vfd?
    Last edited by Clive S; 02-05-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    ..Clive

Iv put the parameters right now, the spindle is 110 volts, I had 220 volts set in the output of the VFD and that is why the spindle was getting hot. I have changed the output to 110 volts now and its running cool again

It doesn't seem like there is any cooling atall on this spindle, it is 80mm diameter about 230 long. It was bought around 2005. I cant see aircooling gaps and its definately not water cooled. This is running fine now and does not get hot but does anyone know if I would be making the right move by getting a 240 volt watercooled one.

It doesn't seem like there is any cooling atall on this spindle, it is 80mm diameter about 230 long. It was bought around 2005. I cant see aircooling gaps and its definately not water cooled. This is running fine now and does not get hot but does anyone know if I would be making the right move by getting a 240 volt watercooled one.
    How about a pic. They are either water cooled with two pipes on the top or air cooled, If it is air cooled it will be noisy.

But if it works !!
    ..Clive

Thread Information