. .
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
    Lives in Piraeus, Greece. Last Activity: 31 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 401. Received thanks 68 times, giving thanks to others 183 times.
    Hello everyone.
    This is Nick from Greece.
    I am looking forward to build my own cnc and to avoid the most mistakes that will cost me money, time and mental brakdown!
    Althought I am a member at other cnc forums,I choose to post here my attempt for some reasons that I will prefer not to analyse right now.
    Sooo, I am planing to build a cnc with the dimensions I wrote above.Steel frame and bench, I am planing to combine welds and screws for the bench since my workshop is small and I will have to build the machine outside the workshop and disassembly it and reassembly it again in the working area, this will also be a one man build , so this way it will be a little bit better for me to relocate it.
    The cnc will be used most for wood working, guitar building, etc and I will be pleased if it will be rigid and accurate enough so I can cut aluminum parts.

Caution My cad abilities are awful,lol, prepare your eyes!!!
    CAd program I use is Rhino 4 and Vectric Aspire 4 for cam.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and special thanks to everyone that will participate to that attempt!!!

Lives in Piraeus, Greece. Last Activity: 31 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 401. Received thanks 68 times, giving thanks to others 183 times.
    Yesterday at work I felt very lucky, since I thought I found my machin ,almost ready ,build for me!!!
    But unfortunattely someone place an engine on and I lost my chance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170502_083718.jpg 
Views:	1039 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	21498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170502_083751.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	21499
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 03-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Workbench plans.
    50x50x3mm build, any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench1.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	21500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench2.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	21501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench3.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	21502

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hi Nick,

I'm still learning, but some of the best bed frame designs I've seen have a bed which attaches to the legs with screws, so you can change the height of the bed, or swap it out for a different one in the future. The other thing I thought was quite sensible would be room at the front and sides for sliding large pieces in underneath to work on their edges - looks like you've hit the nail on head already for that one though!

Hope that helps!

Any thoughts about the design and the dimensions of the steel tube I use?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Any thoughts about the design and the dimensions of the steel tube I use?
    I think 3mm is a bit thin for tapping into
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Hi Nick,

I'm still learning, but some of the best bed frame designs I've seen have a bed which attaches to the legs with screws, so you can change the height of the bed, or swap it out for a different one in the future. The other thing I thought was quite sensible would be room at the front and sides for sliding large pieces in underneath to work on their edges - looks like you've hit the nail on head already for that one though!

Hope that helps!
    Hi Andy.
    Somehow I miss your post earlier.
    Thanks for the comments, I read other's guys threads here and I am stealing ideas, I hope this is not inappropriate. :-).
    Something I forgot to mention is that at the one end of the bench ,that is at a lower lever is for the rotating axis.
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 02-08-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think 3mm is a bit thin for tapping into
    Hi Clive.
    Nice input,thanks!
    I will then go for 50x50x4, maybe?

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Hi Clive.
    Nice input,thanks!
    I will then go for 50x50x4, maybe?

Nick.
    Hi, May I ask what rails/tracks/guides you are using and what is the method of attachment? What do you want to cut?
    The span of the section is where you need to pay attention. Mass/stiffness can be your friend.
    Welding can be you enemy with shrinkage and distortion. The 50 x50 x3 might be used for bracing , but the main rail support might be stiffer with 75 X 50 X 5.0 RHS.
    Tool load and weight of the material you are cutting will also dictate frame material properties. Sorry not many answers and a lot of questions.

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your participation to this thread.
    Rails I am planing to use HIWI linear square rails, attached with screws .
    I am planning to cut wood mainly and I will be glad if the machine can cut aluminum also,I know that I can not have a cnc that can do both works well, so the main purpose is to build a cnc foe woodworking-guitar building.
    Thanks for the input about the main rails, i will use it at my upgrate workbench design.
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 09-05-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information