. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    ... whatever bearings you use will need a preload on them to stop them from skidding. ....preload them with something like bellville washers.
    As you already know, i read all yours conversation with blackburn mark an others about preloading when you was building your spindle. But everything is a little confusing to me, as English is not my language. So i draw a sketch in mspaint( 1000 words) to clear things. Simply answer to numbers with tight/loose relations between parts. For example, i think 2 and 3 are tight connections.
    Then, please explain "preload". Is that, to tightening a housing cap with housing to press outer bearing ring, or something else?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spindle.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	21874
    I think it would be a great help for me and others to see all relations in one place, so thanks in advance.
    Last edited by volcano; 12-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Things are start to get moving...
    I hook up the motor, everything works.
    Motor sound way unbalanced, make huge vibrations in mid range ( @12V ) rpms.
    But the dial tester says just a 0.01 runout???

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	21900
    turn motor by ~70 degree left sims to give bigest value....( see sticker on rotor -1st pic)

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	21901
    By the way this is the first time to use this dial test indicator ( just arrived ), so i think that
    maybe the tool is not precise, or i`m doing something wrong???

Anyway, next thing is ...to build a tachometer to measure rpms...
    Cheers!

It's probably not the shaft that's unbalanced but the magnets in the bell, not unusual to have big globs of glue between some magnets and not others. The DTI looks a good one so I'd say you've minimal runout on the shaft.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Actually the DTI works perfect. I borrow a second (pro one) from a friend and done some comparative test, so mine DTI works great. A very handy tool :-).
    Building housing part is at pause for now , because friend who will do it for me ( i do not have lathe...) is overloaded with jobs at the moment.
    Because of that, i decided to use my spare time to build a electronics for my future spindle. So far i figured out how to
    make an Arduino speed control. This is a only one video i find so far, that closely matches mine idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFNUQgE26E
    Arduino reads rpms from spindle with an optical sensor, and sends pwm output, so actual rpms try to match targeted one ( take a look at the video).
    This " pid " control is not designed to work with ours rc outrunner and ESC.
    But there is an Arduino servo library and a bunch of tutorials on how to conrtol ESC with Arduino.
    So it`ll be most elegant if i manage to mredge this in one project.
    When we cut some mat., spindle will try to maintain the rpm, so torque is improved. :-)
    Gain will be big (and dirt cheap) with this speed control.

Early phase of experiment (with salvaged hadware) + Arduino...

Views:	276 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	21909

Just to say hello! Was on vacation, now i`m back. Meanwhile, all parts arrived. I`ll start building next week.
    Cheers!

My "S-Pid" controller work continues.
    Made new sensor today (paper detection sensor salvaged from some old printer, copier...desoldered from its original pcb and added some resistors...) I done some fine tunings and start measuring. I compared my controller readings with
    results measured with my standalone tachometer device. Accuracy is far better then i expected. Check the picture!

Views:	295 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	22225
    P.S. So... finding and building a good sensor is done. Accuracy of reading RPM is checked and accomplished, also. Now i will hook an real rc brushless motor instead of this pc fan.
    P.P.S. I am aware that what i wrote is far away from spindle mechanical build, but electronic is also
    a part of spindle system i want to build, and that kind of spindle speed control is presented in far more expensive rigs. Please tell me if you think i shouldn`t write about this pid controller here, and/or if you like it? Comments are most welcome.
    Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information