. .
    I was just getting my current machine back up and running after being away and I though I would just run it through a air cut to make sure all was ok. I have something very big to cut so was pushing it to it limits and all of a sudden the power went out and the the machine stopped. On restarting I the vfd showed a (DL) error and the spindle did not start. I cant find anything in the manual and not to much on the net but believe it maybe a short.. I have a feeling the earth wire or something as it appears it may have rubbed on the bracket that holds the wire and stops it moving however not 100% sure. not being a electrical type person im not to sure how to go about testing for what's wrong?

preparing for the worst were about is the best place to get a new spindle and vfd from?

also wondering if maybe there is a break in the cable so possibly replace that. I got it from this place originally I think it was 4 core cy cable if I remember right but there are a few to chose from so not to sure. there is a flexable one so maybe that ?

https://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/cable/

Disconnect your cable at both ends and measure the resistance between each pair combination to locate a short, if you don't have a cheap multi-meter buy one, you need a meter and it will save you time and money in the long term.
    Disconnect the spindle and check the resistance of the spindle windings, they should all read fairly close, if you have one which is significantly lower than the other two readings you have a short in the windings,

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 11-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If a wire has shorted out, then it's likely blown up something in the power stage of the VFD.

If you do what Nick has suggested, it should show up any fault, however if you have any concerns over the integrity of the cable, replace it to remove any doubt. For the minor cost in relation to a VFD, it's a small cost for piece of mind. And yes, CY cable will be fine.

It's probably worth trying to power up the VFD with nothing connected.
    I've just checked the manual I have, and a DL error is an invertor overload error, so if the fault remains the same with nothing connected, I'd guess something has shorted out in the power stage.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I re did the end on the earth wire and tried it again and it still gave the fault. i turned the computer of and gave up, then after reading the above i unplugged the spindle and tested it and no fault! i re connected the spindle and it was back working!

i ran the machine yesterday for over 9hours cutting and all was ok so I'm not sure! I'm going to order a back up spindle and vfd to have on standby and may also replace the cable.

would love to know why it triped the power!

many thanks

Maybe a short in the plug??
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Maybe a short in the plug??
    It doesn't take many fine chips to bridge a circuit ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

i couldn't see anything there and seeing as I only cut polystyrene with it I would expect that any chippings would do it. I was also only cutting air when it happened.

any way the earth lead could short it out as that the only thing I noticed was a little dodgy.

the only other thing I was doing at the time was flushing the spindle coolant with warm water to flush out all the gunk from being sat for 6mth. ( not next time drain it before I go away)

Thread Information