. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi all,

I recently refurbished an anglepoise lamp for a friend of mine - it needed a new push switch at the back of its head along with a new bayonet lamp-holder - what was in there was a bit of a horror story:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170510-WA0012.jpeg 
Views:	195 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	21731 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170509-WA0002.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	21732

The replacement switch I bought was one of these: http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-bl.../178021_BQ.prd

...and on the packaging it stated that the switch was rated for 2 amps. Currently I have a 3A fuse fitted in the plug - but I'm going to order a 2A, possibly even a 1A. My question is this, though: why would they sell a 2A lamp switch when it's all but impossible to buy 1A* and 2A fuses on the high street..? Am I being overly cautious, or is a 1A/2A fuse a sensible proposition..?

Ta!

Wal.

*EDIT 1A found on the High Street...
    Last edited by Wal; 18-05-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Wal
    I don't think you can buy any smaller than 3A fuse for standard plug.

It will be fine a 100W lamp will only take about 0.5A so no prob with the switch.

edit make sure there is an earth wire to the lamp
    Last edited by Clive S; 18-05-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Cheers Clive,

Yeah - the bulb won't be drawing any more than 0.5A - but if it malfunctions and ends up drawing a bigger current I'd rather have the fuse blow than the switch melt, if you get me. I saw some 1A fuses in a small electrical shop in Didsbury yesterday - he reckoned he could get 2A, was just out of stock at the time. As far as the earth cable goes - the lamp has a two-core L/N 3A flex - am I best off replacing this with a 3-core and securing the earth cable to the metal chassis of the lamp? ie. perhaps the bracket that holds the bayonet fitting..?

Wal.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Cheers Clive,

Yeah - the bulb won't be drawing any more than 0.5A - but if it malfunctions and ends up drawing a bigger current I'd rather have the fuse blow than the switch melt, if you get me. I saw some 1A fuses in a small electrical shop in Didsbury yesterday - he reckoned he could get 2A, was just out of stock at the time. As far as the earth cable goes - the lamp has a two-core L/N 3A flex - am I best off replacing this with a 3-core and securing the earth cable to the metal chassis of the lamp? ie. perhaps the bracket that holds the bayonet fitting..?

Wal.
    Yes you need an earth cable to the lamp Just keep the 3A fuse they are different than the glass fuses I have never seen a smaller one fitted to a British 13A plug
    ..Clive

>Yes you need an earth cable to the lamp Just keep the 3A fuse they are different than the glass fuses I have never seen a smaller one fitted to a British 13A plug

Okay - but it wasn't a glass fuse - it was a fuse for a household plug - like this: http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-1a.../177930_BQ.prd

I've seen 2A online, but not on the high street...

Wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    >Yes you need an earth cable to the lamp Just keep the 3A fuse they are different than the glass fuses I have never seen a smaller one fitted to a British 13A plug

Okay - but it wasn't a glass fuse - it was a fuse for a household plug - like this: http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-1a.../177930_BQ.prd

I've seen 2A online, but not on the high street...

Wal.
    Ok Wal you win But I still would not use one as when a lamp is first lit it will draw a lot more current for a few m/seconds and might just blow a 1A fuse. But hey it is your decision
    ..Clive

Heh - Clive - you know me, I know NUFFINK..!

I was just a bit confused as I'd have thought you'd want the fuse to blow before an unsuitably high current went further up the pipe... Dunno, maybe I'm just over-thinking it..!

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 18-05-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You are over thinking it.

While you are technically correct, even a 2A rated switch will more than likely survive switching a load that will blow a 3A fuse.
    You've got to consider what kind of load that's likely to blow a 1A fuse, but not a 3A, and not be noticed in a basic lamp?
    L&N would need to be shorted together in such a way that they only drew 2.5A, and what is the real possibility of that happening?

The far more likely fault, is L and/or N wires rub through on something earthed, in which case it should trip the RCD. Even if you don't have an RCD upstream of your sockets, you should notice a fault before it even gets to the point of blowing a 1A fuse.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

For a standard uk BS1363 square 3 pin plug the fuse sizes are 3amp and 13amp. There used to be 5 amp but this was done away with a few years ago.
    So for your lamp fit a 3 amp fuse that complies with BS1362.

one inch 1A , 2A, 3A 5A , 7A ,10 and 13A HRC (High Rupture Capacity) Fuses for the UK 13A plugs are available
    but the range in the typical high street shop is very often limited to 3A, 5A & 13A

John

PS

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...20plug%20fuses
    Last edited by john swift; 19-05-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information