. .
    hi chaps. I purchased a router off ebay and the stepper motor I have will not move the x axis. the motor is a 2.4nm 4 wire job at 3 amps. the router is using normal lead screws not ball screws. the axis can be moved by hand, but I think its just too heavy for the motor for the motor to deal with.
    so my question is what can I do to improve this.
    the motor is a 23HS2430B 1.8 3amp and I am using a HG08 breakout board from cnc4u,
    what would be the largest motor I can het away with on 4 wire, and would I need to give it its own power supply.
    thanks michael

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by terry1956 View Post
    hi chaps. I purchased a router off ebay and the stepper motor I have will not move the x axis. the motor is a 2.4nm 4 wire job at 3 amps. the router is using normal lead screws not ball screws. the axis can be moved by hand, but I think its just too heavy for the motor for the motor to deal with.
    the motor is a 23HS2430B 1.8 3amp and I am using a HG08 breakout board from cnc4u,
    what would be the largest motor I can het away with on 4 wire, and would I need to give it its own power supply.
    thanks michael
    You have not mentioned the voltage of the power supply to the motors.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

hi, its a 400 watt 36v 11 amp job.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    hi, its a 400 watt 36v 11 amp job.
    Ok pics and model of your machine would help. Do you know what drives you have? When you say the axis does not move can you feel if the motor locks up ie. with the power off is it easy to turn the motor then turn the power on can you still turn it.
    ..Clive

hi, the motor runs ok off the machine. the motor can move the gantry if I help it a bit, but is not able to move it unaided. I have tried retuning it in mach3 but I think that there is just too much weight for the motor to deal with. the drivers are just 4.3 amp units from ebay

hi, the motor runs ok off the machine. the motor can move the gantry if I help it a bit, but is not able to move it unaided. I have tried retuning it in mach3 but I think that there is just too much weight for the motor to deal with. the drivers are just 4.3 amp units from ebay
    Just saying the drives are 4.3A does not say what they are. If you up the voltage you will get more power but if the drives can not handle that !! I doubt putting bigger motors on will solve your problem.
    ..Clive

thanks michael
    Do you have a link to the ebay listing for what you bought?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

the drivers are *CW-5045 from cnc4u

Thread Information