. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trying to make decisions on the way to go, in order to get some experience of 4th axis machining. The capacity of one of the 100mm Chinese harmonic drives would suffice. Or I could convert a Vertex D/head. Anyone have any experience of the Chinese units please.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Also keen to know this as Ill be looking at a 4th axis soon for my new machine.

I got a 4th axis bundled my 3040 machine. I find that mechanically it's not bad at all bad (reasonable bearings and tailstock) , but it's seriously let down by the puniest stepper I've ever seen and a tommy bar chuck that's really awkward to use insomuch as it's not very well built and runs of true by varying amounts dependant on how much you tighten it. It might be worth a look if you already have a chuck and a stepper kicking about that you can press into service and would definitely well enough for you to get the hang of using 4 axiz on very light duty objects but for me that's about their limit.

Col.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafax View Post
    I got a 4th axis bundled my 3040 machine. I find that mechanically it's not bad at all bad (reasonable bearings and tailstock) , but it's seriously let down by the puniest stepper I've ever seen and a tommy bar chuck that's really awkward to use insomuch as it's not very well built and runs of true by varying amounts dependant on how much you tighten it. It might be worth a look if you already have a chuck and a stepper kicking about that you can press into service and would definitely well enough for you to get the hang of using 4 axiz on very light duty objects but for me that's about their limit.

Col.
    For me, id remove the stepper and put a servo on. Sorted.

Thanks for info - Col, could you advise size of the stepper, spec. or dimensions. Also do you have the 100mm chuck.

I have the 75mm chuck with a nema 23 1.8NM 3 amp stepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    Trying to make decisions on the way to go, in order to get some experience of 4th axis machining. The capacity of one of the 100mm Chinese harmonic drives would suffice. Or I could convert a Vertex D/head. Anyone have any experience of the Chinese units please.
    Can you link one of these harmonic drives please?

Last edited by Lee Roberts; 12-06-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fixed link

Great, thanks.

When can we expect your review?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information