. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Afternoon everyone, my name is Ravi and I am an advanced 3d modeller using Autocad. I have just purchased this machine:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2323472905...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looking forward to converting some of my 2d and 3d designs into reality, but must admit I haven't a scooby doo how so will be calling on you peeps for guidance and help real soon.

Cheers

Ravi

Good luck. I think you need it. While you are waiting for the machine to arrive, you should order a new spindle motor, and get at least a 400W of the same dimensions. I don't want to put you off, but that 200W motor is just a joke, will not be able to do more than engraving in soft materials.

3. Thank you mate, can you recomend one? im trying to find the spec of my current motor, it arrived yesterday with no instructions what so ever

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    Hiya,

Its an upgrade to what your machine will come with that's for sure, the only thing I would consider is that it has an ER11 size collet.

Although thinking about it more and giving the overall strength of such machine consideration, ER11 is probably about the right limit to place on it...

...a machine like this really isn't designed to cope well with any kind of substantial machining.

Bigger Tooling = Bigger Forces
    .Me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

6. Cheers lee, this machine is pretty much only going to be used for engraving fibreglass and plastics, not sure how well it will cope with that?

The motor you linked to is air cooled and very noisy the water cooled one's are very quiet. You will also need a VFD to power it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thank you mate, can you recomend one? im trying to find the spec of my current motor, it arrived yesterday with no instructions what so ever
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500W-100VD...3D232201733754

I think this is the best you can fit into your motor holder. I think your 200W motor is 52mm, so this one can be used unmodified. I used a 400W for about two years, it worked well for me, but don't expect miracles. Plastic and PCB or similar soft materials are OK, but anything harder will be difficult.

Yes, that's MUCH better. It is the one I am using today, but beware, it needs a VFD and the Z on your machine is not made for this type of heavy and large spindles.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    The motor you linked to is air cooled and very noisy the water cooled one's are very quiet. You will also need a VFD to power it.
    The one he linked to is not going to work anyway because his machine is just not made for these large spindles. Also, in regard of noise, I must say I disagree that it matters. I have a similar spindle, and while it may be noisier than a water cooled one, it is MUCH quieter than the one he has at the same RPM. I had a similar DC motor like he has and I know this for fact. Also, once the spindle starts cutting the cutting noise is several times more than the spindle noise. Not to mention the vac... :)

So, air cooled vs. water cooled... water cooled wins by miles when you cut air, but when you use it for cutting it makes no real difference at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information