. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Quick question, id mach 3 the best software to be using when starting out? or is there any other alternative programs out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    Quick question, id mach 3 the best software to be using when starting out? or is there any other alternative programs out there?
    In my opinion UCCNC is better but you can only use UCCNC if you buy one of the motion controllers sold by CNC Drive as well. Mach3 is old and it feels old, but it works well, so if you get familiar with Mach3 the time spent will not be lost even if you later change to something else. Mach3 is probably more complex and more advanced than you'll ever need, but it is in my opinion very reliable. I only have experience with Linux CNC, Mach3 and UCCNC, so I don't know anything else, but of those three, I prefer UCCNC.

3. cheers mate,

it may seem a bit odd me asking that question when I havnt even done anything with the machine yet but the reason is this machine is supposed to be a updated usb model as opposed to the serial cable one. But the software included on the crappy disc which came with it was planet cnc. I have done a few searches online and there is next to no support for it. Where as the mach 3 there is loads of support, tutorials etc which to me seems the best choice as im just starting out and need all the help i can get

I am afraid that unless you find a plugin for Mach3 you will need to do some modification to your machine unless you are willing to start with Planet CNC. Perhaps you will find some people here or on cnczone who are using Planet CNC who can help you with that.

BTW, the link in your other thread shows a box which is not USB. I think it is better because that gives you the flexibility of using any software, even if in some cases you need to buy a separate controller. With a parallel port type of CNC you have the choice of using UCCNC, Linux, Mach or whatever you want, you have also a huge pile of motion controllers to chose from. Complain to the seller that they did not deliver what is on the picture, or did they deliver that USB-parallel cable as the picture shows? Because if they did then you can easily swap that one out with something else, but if the USB controller is inside the box then it will take more efforts from you.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 16-06-2017 at 12:41 PM.

I am a simple soul and have easily set up Planet CNC. With a bit of help from Zapp and Planet CNC support.
    pm me if you would like to discuss.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leadhead For This Useful Post:

7. this is the exact model I have bought
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2323472905...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

8. 3.Installing a CNC control software and Drive such as the MACH 3 or EMC2 on your computer.

Actually says to install mach 3?

the seller isnt replying to any of my messages at the mo as there was no instructions so I am in the dark
    What mods may I have to do?

3.Installing a CNC control software and Drive such as the MACH 3 or EMC2 on your computer.

Actually says to install mach 3?

the seller isnt replying to any of my messages at the mo as there was no instructions so I am in the dark
    What mods may I have to do?
    To use Mach3, probably no mods needed because it looks like you have a parallel port type DB25 and then if you want to use Mach3 you can do that with the parallel port of you PC. Of course, it assumes that you have a PC with parallel port.

If you want to use USB and Mach3 you can buy a UC100 from CNC Drive, plug it in and add the Mach3 plugin to the Mach3 Plugin folder and off you go.

But...

All this assumes that you have either knowledge to figure out the pins at the back of the controller box, or you have documentation. Guessing may not work that well.

At this stage, if I were you, I'd contact Leadhead and would start with Planet CNC. That is probably the simplest way to go ahead.
    Regardless of which route you go, you should read ALL the manuals you can find. It is not going to be possible to give you full assistance and help you with every small steps unless you do some self help and read the manuals needed. At least I will not have the time and the possibilities to guide you with every step you need to take.

EBay sellers are not always helpful, but in my experience, most are doing their best to solve all the issues. You can also search the Internet for documentation about your machine and Planet CNC and everything else you need. This hobby is not just plug and play, every step takes time unless you have previous knowledge and experience.

this is the exact model I have bought
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2323472905...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    In that case you should be able to make it work with any other software as well, but maybe no point in rushing anywhere, start with Planet CNC and see that everything is working.

> Acceptable software:only CNCUSB

The fact that it came from China and only runs CNCUSB means it's probably based on a cloned Mk1 Planet-CNC controller and Planet-CNC will not support it in any way.

http://forum.planet-cnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=520

This was their stock response to people asking for support for one of these boards:

"Looks like you have one of Chinese counterfeit boards: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=520
    We do not support these boards and therefore we cannot be responsible for any hardware or license malfunction.

You should turn to support and help to your merchant/seller that sold you this product.

However license that we provide should work with these controllers.

These boards are based on our first Mk1 controller which is obsolete and is not supported.
    Many of its features are outdated and there is no software/firmware development.
    It has a small buffer and weak processor, which reflects on bad machine performance.

You can purchase original controller or license in our web shop:
    http://planet-cnc.com/products/"

The licence costs 69euros, plus VAT if applicable.

Adrian.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Saracen For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information