. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We partially agree .. as usual .. and I try hard to never be belligerent.
    A good top end machx setup is perfectly equal, in many ways better, to an industrial control like haas or the chinese fanuc copies, but with caveats and specific drawbacks.

The speed you quote, I think, is erroneous.
    My max speed, at 0.2 microns step size, is 12 metres / minute.

You are perfectly correct that 95% of users can run (quite/very) well with a(uccnc or..) chinese 200$ hw control box +/-, running a fanuc copy of some kind.
    This means no bob, and is (often, slightly) cheaper then the uccnc setup. Immaterial in truth.
    A SS can also run 90%+ of stuff very well ... but there is a reason I binned mine many years ago. As did () others.

I have no idea about the instant feedhold/fro/so you get, and the mpgs response, but if they are in fact fast then they are great. Good for You.

I pointed out 5 exact hw features that work extremely well today,
    mostly not supported all-together by most competitive setups I know of,
    as good as or better than current industrial controllers,
    that are extremely important,
    for all users in general,
    after You seemed to disparage, for some reason, my factual, objective, technical, comments regarding different cnc controllers, in my humble opinion.
    As I see it.

A variable 10-1000 ms, or 0.01 - 1 s delay, in feedhold, is critical and very bad (like the very old first USB mach3 plugins, generally).
    Etc..
    Slow probing is very bad ... as it makes probing either slow or inaccurate - Way It Is.
    Etc..

Ger21 .. You did not make any factual statements re:speed, response, delay, jitter, or technical capacities of UCCNC, as far as I can see.

Please try to be polite and respond to technical posts with technical data.
    I am sure I make mistakes ... and am perfectly willing to learn and adjust my POV etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Imo, you're requirements are very different from the average Mach3/LinuxCNC/UCCNC user. 95% or more of the user base has no need for the specs you're spouting.
    Neither Mach3, nor UCCNC, is a replacement for a true industrial control. And they don't claim to be.

The machine homes to the nearest step, whether it's at 100Khz or 4Mhz, the machine still homes to the nearest step.

All of these are CS Labs features, not Mach3 features. Mach3 is an open loop control, so glass scale feedback is not even used by Mach3.

With UCCNC and the MB2 breakout board I'm using, I have instant feedhold. Instant FRO and SO using analog inputs. Instant MPG feedback. Rigid tapping. Differential step/direction, and 24V I/O. For about 1/3 the price of Mach3 and a CS Labs controller.

And with it's superior trajectory planner, I've seen UCCNC run 30% faster, while making more accurate parts than Mach3. At the end of the day, that's what matters to me. Not if the feedhold response is 1ms.

Hanermo.

We have been waiting literally years for a sneak preview of this lathe.

It now sounds you have it all running to quote such accurate figures so why not give up preview, or even a short video?

You know the old adage on the Internet - pictures or it doesn't exist
    Last edited by John S; 17-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    John S -

I never said a 1 second feedhold was acceptable. It's not. But if there's no perceivable delay, it doesn't matter what the response speed is.

Imo, all of these technical specs are meaningless to the average user.

I've been using Mach3 for over 10 years, and I think I know it pretty well. And I know it well enough to know that there are better performing options, even if they lack some of the features that Mach3 has.

Remember, Mach3 had a huge head start, but development stopped years ago. It's competition is still adding features, and getting better and better as time goes on.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Somewhat true .. and correct to an extent.
    I could share video from 2 days ago, but not publicly.

Cutting 3.09 mm DOC, 55 mm WOC, with an ISO30 facemill head held in the chuck.
    550 rpm.
    350 mm feed iirc,
    and yes the speed was too much.
    .. but that is how it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Hanermo.
    We have been waiting literally years for a sneak preview of this lathe.

It now sounds you have it all running to quote such accurate figures so why not give up preview, or even a short video?

You know the old adage on the Internet - pictures or it doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    I've been using Mach3 for over 10 years, and I think I know it pretty well. And I know it well enough to know that there are better performing options, even if they lack some of the features that Mach3 has.
    Gerry, I have been looking into UCCNC myself and would like your input if you think it would be better to move to it.

I have been using Mach3 for a good amount of years with little problems but I am in the process of rebuilding a new controller for more powerful system I do a lot of 2 1/2-3d so thinking might be ideal time to change to a more up to date controller what do you think.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    Gerry, I have been looking into UCCNC myself and would like your input if you think it would be better to move to it.

I have been using Mach3 for a good amount of years with little problems but I am in the process of rebuilding a new controller for more powerful system I do a lot of 2 1/2-3d so thinking might be ideal time to change to a more up to date controller what do you think.

Phill
    Be careful. UCCNC lacks some of the features Mach3 has, so if you need or frequently use those features then you sould be prepared for some extra work to work around those features. Cutter radius compensation is one such feature which I find useful but is not in UCCNC. On the other hand, UCCCNC is cheap enough to buy, and since it requires a CNC Drive motion controller anyway, if you don't like or can't use UCCNC you can always continue using Mach3 since they have Mach3 plugins for all their motion controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo2 View Post
    I could share video from 2 days ago, but not publicly.
    Why not?

8. planet cnc is the software we are trying to use, seem pretty straight forward so far, although there is a slight issue with something

when you use the x axis job on the scree, if you keep your button pressed on it, it moves the axis then stops, where as the other axis moves continuously until you release the mouse off the direction button, I have swopped the x and y plugs over the check it isnt a motor issue and they work as they should. So something is a miss, strage thing is when you keep your mouse button on the x axis jog the cutter on the screen still moves even thought the x axis motur has stopped

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post

Phill
    Everyone I know that has used both has preferred UCCNC. I'm switching to it.
    I don't recommend Mach3 to anyone anymore.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

I switched from Eding cnc to Mach 3 last year and Im pretty much regretting it. If only cslabs would do a plugin for UCCNC!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information