BR David
    I have added link 3 wires try 2 and 3 both ways
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I have added link 3 wires try 2 and 3 both ways
    Thanks again, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    Thanks Gerry, that helps. If I can find the pinouts from the RS232 to USB then I'll knock-up a cable.

Best regards David
    A USB to RS232 adapter is not just a wiring adapter. It has a chip and other electronics, and requires a Windows driver. So while you can make your own RS232 to RJ11 cable, you'll still need to purchase a USB to RS232 adapter.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    A USB to RS232 adapter is not just a wiring adapter. It has a chip and other electronics, and requires a Windows driver. So while you can make your own RS232 to RJ11 cable, you'll still need to purchase a USB to RS232 adapter.
    Ah, OK - just wasted the last hour knocking up an adapter! Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    Ah, OK - just wasted the last hour knocking up an adapter! Back to the drawing board.
    You need something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-C.../dp/B00077DJIQ or one from Maplin some of these don't work well with 64 bit systems.
    The pin outs on the cable are directed at the DB9 plug not the usb plug.
    Also you just might have a serial header on the mother board of the pc. in this case you won't need the adapter.
    Last edited by Clive S; 17-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I think I'm using this one, which works fine in Windows 10Pro x64.
    https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-26...s=usb+to+rs232
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

I've bought a USB to RS232 converter, installed the software and my machine says it's working as it should. However, when I go to the Leadshine software it won't connect to the port at which the device is located.

I've also noted that in the hardware profile for my machine that 2 serial ports are listed (although they physically don't exist) and they are both working as they should (whatever that means). They are located at COM1 and 2, but the Leadshine software doesn't recognise them either (which seems reasonable since they don't actually exist!!!).

I had to install a couple of parallel ports when I first got this machine and seem to remember it being quite difficult to get the machine to recognise them. However, this was the system itself not recognising the hardware. In the case of the USB/RS232 it does see it and declares it to be working as it should.

I've tried plugging it to different USB sockets which just gives a different location. However the location still not recognised by the Leadshine software.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other RS232 equipped devices to test the port.

Any thoughts?

I can just about find my way round a PC, but having had Macs as my main machines for getting on for 20 years I'm neither impressed with PCs nor adept at overcoming their inadequacies!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    COM1&2 are most likely for onboard ports that don't have the required headers connected.

If you go to Device manager, and select the properties for your USB-RS232 adapter, it should show the COM port number somewhere within the properties (I would tell you exactly where, but I'm on my laptop and don't have any adapters to hand to try). Does that COM port show up within the Leadshine software?

If it doesn't you may need to close and re-open the Leadshine software so it refreshed the COM port list.

If it does show, it could be a cable problem.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

The rs232 shows in the device manager list at port 6. Thinking about it, I wonder if it's my home made r11 to rs232 cable. Does a driver have to be connected for the Leadshine software to see the port? - I thought it would see the rs232 even if there was nothing connected, or incorrectly connected.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The COM port should be visible in the Leadshine software, as long as the adapter is plugged in.

Might be worth trying to uninstall the Leadshine software, then re-install it with the adapter plugged in. I've just downloaded the AM software and don't see anyway to refresh the COM port list, so I'm wondering if it maybe populates the list when it's installed.
    Last edited by m_c; 23-06-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information