. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ive had mixed results trying to build something to do misting or similar. So reading some threads, I'm going to try dry cutting alu with a good blast of air to clear the chips.

Can anyone recommend a suitable set of pipes / nozzles that I can use to do this? Ive seen the coolant nozzles being used but the air orifice needs to be smaller. Ive seen some brass ended ones that have eg 1mm hole. Anything that I can look at for Thor please?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Ive had mixed results trying to build something to do misting or similar. So reading some threads, I'm going to try dry cutting alu with a good blast of air to clear the chips.

Can anyone recommend a suitable set of pipes / nozzles that I can use to do this? Ive seen the coolant nozzles being used but the air orifice needs to be smaller. Ive seen some brass ended ones that have eg 1mm hole. Anything that I can look at for Thor please?
    I thought these looked good
    http://www.exair.com/en-US/Primary%2...20Systems.aspx

And they do have an UK distributor.

I was going to hook up to a solenoid as well so I could pulse the air (555 timer circuit, many on ebay and alixpress cheap as chips so not worth reinventing the wheel) not sure if pulsing the air is good or bad but seen other people doing it have the solenoid.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 21-06-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I thought these looked good
    http://www.exair.com/en-US/Primary%2...20Systems.aspx

And they do have an UK distributor.

I was going to hook up to a solenoid as well so I could pulse the air (555 timer circuit, many on ebay and alixpress cheap as chips so not worth reinventing the wheel) not sure if pulsing the air is good or bad but seen other people doing it have the solenoid.
    Thanks, seen their stuff before.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    How about mig welding nozzles?
    Most common sizes just use a M6 thread. Suitable hose, adapter (just a hosetail with female M6 for screwing in the tip), and some method of securing the hose (similar type of arm as used on DTI gauges?).
    That way you can try different sizes (0.6, 0.8, 1.0mm are all common sizes), and you can try modifying them to suit without any major outlay.

Other option could be syringe nozzles (I know they're available in a very wide range of sizes for applying solder paste), but making an adapter would be a bit more challenging, as they normally use a 1/4turn type moulded fitting.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I have one of the cheap spray mist systems you get on ebay here and it works really well for ali on my router, I use the air only when cutting Acetal to help clear the chips...
    Neil...

Build log...here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I have one of the cheap spray mist systems you get on ebay here and it works really well for ali on my router, I use the air only when cutting Acetal to help clear the chips...
    That looks spot on what I want how do you hook it up?

Drop the pipe with the non return valve in the cutting oil and the other end to compressed air fitting?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    That looks spot on what I want how do you hook it up?

Drop the pipe with the non return valve in the cutting oil and the other end to compressed air fitting?
    Yep spot on!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I had one with mixed results. This one looks better built however, might give it a try.

3d printer nozzle. It is M6 threaded??. I have said it before, the mist system works best with 0.6mm- 0.8mm nozzle.

Chas, i believe you have seen the video where i go into the details?? last news is that kerosene works fine for all and will not hack the transparent vessel/ if you buy a brand one/.

At the end of the day i used 1mm tube that i pushed and orifice closed, then re drilled to size at the exit only. The other trick is the hole to be 0.8mm but the exit to be cut flat and slightly chamfered at the outer side but not the hole. If that makes sense. That produces the nicest spray pattern

project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    3d printer nozzle. It is M6 threaded??. I have said it before, the mist system works best with 0.6mm- 0.8mm nozzle.

Chas, i believe you have seen the video where i go into the details?? last news is that kerosene works fine for all and will not hack the transparent vessel/ if you buy a brand one/.

At the end of the day i used 1mm tube that i pushed and orifice closed, then re drilled to size at the exit only. The other trick is the hole to be 0.8mm but the exit to be cut flat and slightly chamfered at the outer side but not the hole. If that makes sense. That produces the nicest spray pattern

I did make a system like yours however I dont think it works well for me. I need to rebuild it and see if I can tweak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information