. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi i hope someone could help me out please.
    Recently fitted a MDF spoil board to my machine.
    I’ve been trying to completed a surface clean for the past 24 hour in order to level of the surface but my machine keeps stopping during the cut.
    Every time it stops it’s a different location.
    An error comes up in Mach3 stating “Is the Xpod inserted ok? it has ceased to respond.
    To be honest i don’t really understand what it’s telling me.

Thank you
    Kev

Hi Kev,

This is a common problem for a few with an OmniCNC machine using a cdxhctech.com card, as I understand its related to USB and is caused by signal level, interference and earthing problems, this is also common for other brands of chinese USB interfaces.

The fix given a few times was to look at all earth's and make sure they are good and well connected, you can connect an earth to the PE of the spindle VFD if it is missing one and also look into the spindle and see if that has a good earth connection.

Before you go looking at all that though, you can start Mach3 and when presented with the option for connecting to the machine, so this would be the printer port, xpod stuff, at the bottom left of that screen there is an option that read to the effect of "dont ask me this again", choose that as well and give the machine another test run and see what happens.

Since choosing that option it has fixed the problem for people and been passed as a bug in the software, however you should check the earthing as well.

Let us know what happens next!

Last edited by Lee Roberts; 25-06-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: speeeling
    .Me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Hi Lee thank you very much for the reply.

This is a problem I've had since purchasing the machine about 18 months ago and now has returned.
    I have earth the VFD to the metal enclosure, and then taken a second earth from another suitable point in the enclosure to a mains earth.
    I have also ran an earth for the main frame of the CNC again to a main earth.
    I’ve tested the spindle body with main frame of the machine for continuity and that’s fine.

I’m not sure if i should completely uninstall Mach3 and reinstall.
    I’m a little reluctant to use machine for any projects ata the moment just in case it crashes

Quote Originally Posted by piper1 View Post
    I’m a little reluctant to use machine for any projects ata the moment just in case it crashes
    Ok well if your happy all is well with the earthing give the "dont ask me this again" option a try, as your describing it as an intermittent problem, plus you've added the MDF bed, I feel that it maybe a signal wire has come close to a power wire and noise is getting into the signal wire.

How isolated is the USB wire from one to the other?
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 26-06-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    .Me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

To be honest Lee i think i should invest in a decent USB cable, i had to buy an extended on to reach the computer and didn’t pay attention to it needing ferrite rings on either end.
    The USB cable is pretty exposed to several other cables between both the machine and computer, but i will move it to minimise any interference.
    Lee do you know of anyone within the North west that does service router machine?

Thank you
    Kev

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Remember that too many earths may result in a ground loop. so take the earth to just one place (think star point) I there a ground between the pc and controller try a different usb lead.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thanks Clive I'm just searching for a new USB lead now.
    Will also look up star point grounding.

Quote Originally Posted by piper1 View Post
    To be honest Lee i think i should invest in a decent USB cable, i had to buy an extended on to reach the computer and didn’t pay attention to it needing ferrite rings on either end.
    The USB cable is pretty exposed to several other cables between both the machine and computer, but i will move it to minimise any interference.
    Lee do you know of anyone within the North west that does service router machine?

Thank you
    Kev
    I new it ;-)

A decent USB cable can help but if you can move it away from the other cables you may not need a new one, remember you've had your machine working fine at times, this tells us the setup has potential.

No sorry I dont but we have members all over the UK so you could put up a request in the Projects, Jobs & Requests forum.
    .Me

Did a couple of test runs this afternoon, one with the spindle running and one without
    Both ran the exact program, same length of time etc and not not a glitch in sight.
    Both test ran flawlessly, i was so made up.

The only thing i did in the hope to remedy the fault with the machine stopping during programs was to move the USB cable away from any other possible interference's (cables).

Going to run the same program again tomorrow with the machine cutting this time , fingers crossed.

Thank you for the advise Lee.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think you said you said that you had an extension to the usb lead if so buy a new lead long enough the shorter the better. make sure it is a good quality one.

With an extension you are creating another joint
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information