. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I started a thread in the New Member's section yesterday, but I will elaborate a bit more here.

As previously mentioned I've not really got the time to learn how to build my own machine and would much rather spend what time i do have on learning how to use a pre built machine.

Ideally with a minimum working area of 450mm x 600mm, Machining various hardwoods and plywoods, I would like some sort of dust extraction, either built in or a way to connect my existing extractor to the machine. Also, the machine would not be running all day every day with heavy usage.

The software I've got a bit experience with is Sketchup & SolidWorks, and more recently Shaper3d on the Ipad Pro.
    Fusion 360 as also been recommended to look into by mekanik on the forum.

Budget wise I like good quality tools, but I don't want to break the bank on this! I've had two quotes from two different companies that I will attach below.

I would rather not spend that much if there are better value/recommended ones available?.

Thanks
    Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Makerlab 6090_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	22011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exel_CNC.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	22012  

Sorry, this should have been posted in the machine section, can somebody please move it.

Thanks
    Sean

Hi Sean
    If you make a post in the Freelance Jobs and Requests section someone on the forum might be willing to build you a machine, chances are it will be a better machine than some of the other suppliers out there.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Sean
    If you make a post in the Freelance Jobs and Requests section someone on the forum might be willing to build you a machine, chances are it will be a better machine than some of the other suppliers out there.
    Regards
    Mike
    That's something to consider cheers Mike.
    Also do you know if it is possible to move this thread to the machine section? or would it be ok to just start a new one? .

Sean

Have you looked at any of the Chinese machines? Not the cheap end of the range, but some of the bigger machines? A friend bought an Acctek 6090 which he is using daily in his business and which seems to do a reasonable job. It has quite a few rough edges (literally, in some cases) and needed a bit of tweaking to get it running when it first arrived but it's steel and cast iron with profile rails and ballscrews. All up including shipping (he arranged his own), a 3HP water-cooled spindle (about right for this size machine), and USB motion controller, it was around £3K. The difference buys a lot of cutters and material!

I'm not pushing this specific machine or maker but something like this might be an option worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Have you looked at any of the Chinese machines? Not the cheap end of the range, but some of the bigger machines? A friend bought an Acctek 6090 which he is using daily in his business and which seems to do a reasonable job. It has quite a few rough edges (literally, in some cases) and needed a bit of tweaking to get it running when it first arrived but it's steel and cast iron with profile rails and ballscrews. All up including shipping (he arranged his own), a 3HP water-cooled spindle (about right for this size machine), and USB motion controller, it was around £3K. The difference buys a lot of cutters and material!

I'm not pushing this specific machine or maker but something like this might be an option worth considering.
    Cheers Neale, yes to be honest the Acctek name has popped up on my radar as one of the better Chinese machines. You've definitely got me thinking about it, like you say its a massive saving.
    Ive just spent the last half an hour looking at the Acctek 6090 and a few posts on another forum saying they are a good company to deal with also.
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know Where your friend placed the order? and do you know who he made the shipping arrangements with?.

I'm seriously toying with the idea, im going to research it a bit more.

Thanks Sean

He spent some time talking to Acctek on Skype to agree the exact spec. I know that he used a UK shipping agent to handle all the transport issues but I'm not sure who it was - someone else on the forum was talking about this recently and I think they had found a suitable agent. I'll see if I can find who my friend used.

My only experience of Acctek is this one machine but based on this one example, it seems ok. There are a number of things about it that I would do differently but the real test is, does it do the job you want? My friend runs a small sign- and notice-board making business and for lettering, cutting hardwood, that kind of thing, it seems to work fine.

Hi Sean

After doing a fair bit of research, the AccTek 6090 emerged as a reasonably well built and cost-effective machine for my needs. The import and delivery costs do add a fair bit to the price, mind you. I can PM the details if you like. If I may - a word to the wise on any shipping costs the manufacturer quotes: I was quoted very low prices for shipping using the manufacturers choice of shipping company but this is usually a loss leader for the shipping co which can then clobber you at the UK end with unexpectedly high fees. For the sake of transparency, ask for the FOB price and get a UK freight forwarder to get you an all-in quote. Apologies if you know all this already but it was all new to me.

I've not pulled the trigger yet on the Acctek machine for a couple of reasons - one of them being Clive putting into my head the idea of building my own! I've been reading the build logs on this forum and I think that with some help from wiser heads than mine, a self-build might be feasible although the electrics side of things worries me a bit.

Anyway... enough rambling! Best of luck with whatever decision you make. There's a ton of useful information in these forums, as you'll have seen, so happy researching.

Chris

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:

5k is not unreasonable for as machine. The other one is expensive. No need for fancy spindles when the Chinese spindles do the same job.

Now there is that thing that for that money, me or sb else could build you a machine with better pro grade controller, better drives and motors and much more capable. In fact the first one is just re branded Chinese machine. I hate things with inherent design flaws, and if it was me i couldn't live with such a thing, unless i dont have to.

yes, some things the chinese machines have better priced than what i can do for the money, like the working bed and ... what, nothing else

And about the support: Wait, what i have build the only support that it needed was sorting Windows bugs
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 28-06-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    He spent some time talking to Acctek on Skype to agree the exact spec. I know that he used a UK shipping agent to handle all the transport issues but I'm not sure who it was - someone else on the forum was talking about this recently and I think they had found a suitable agent. I'll see if I can find who my friend used.
    Neale Was this the company you was looking for I seem to remember reading about it.

https://www.shippo.co.uk/
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information