. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1st of all. Hello to everyone. I am Sam from Edgbaston Birmingham. I am newbie with CNC. Manager in BP and part time Woodworker. Like to create art stuff and done a lot of projects of tables and some cool chairs.
    Lets get to the point. I bought diy cnc kit and setted up and it was all fine till last week. Its been a week machine is not responding to any thing.
    I have tried everything what possibly I could but no luck. Here is the link of my diy cnc. http://ebay.co.uk/itm/112433067669
    I am using software grbl control.

I found a video in Internet where a person have same issue as mine. Here is the link.

https: youtu.be/UG1zoWe9SHM
    My machine is not working like that as well. I have checked every single wiring. I am Supposed to be making a project but I m gutted. Its way to urgent.
    Please if anyone can help me I will really appreciate

I can't help you with GRBL and my comment isn't going to solve anything for you, but that machine looks like a toy. It is not made for anything where power is needed, it contains a lot of plastic stuff (looks like cheap 3-D printed things) where metal would be preferable but not less than at least precision machined Delrin. The steppers seems too small, the screws have no bearing supports on the motor end, are made for 3-D printer, uses unsupported curtain rods and so on... so of course it is weak. All that can be seen in the eBay link pictures already. I am afraid that you threw £180 out of the window.

Hi and welcome to the forum Sam. As much as it hurts me to say I am afraid that on this occasion A_Camera is correct it is just a glorified expensive toy and would struggle to ice a cake.

That said you might get some fun from it and learn a bit about cnc. Good luck.
    Last edited by Clive S; 30-06-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Yes, using it for learning is perfectly fine. Testing a concept, demonstration, air milling, see how it moves, how it is controlled, test g-codes and so on. Perhaps it can be used for some simple laser engraving as well, where no precision or accurate repeat-ability is needed. Maybe it can be upgraded to 3-D printer, but I think accuracy is going to be a serious problem.

So maybe the £180 is not wasted at all, because education and experience costs money, but...

I am Supposed to be making a project but I m gutted. Its way to urgent.
    ...it is not good for any milling project, regardless how urgent it is. I guess if you would have asked about advice before you bought this probably nobody on this site would have advised you to buy it for the purpose I am assuming you bought this for.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 30-06-2017 at 08:56 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Hi Sam, unfortunately you have got a toy there but as long as you work within it's limitations I'm sure you can have a lot of fun with it. Just don't expect to be cutting metals it really is an engraver rather than a milling machine.

There's an easy fix to get this working quickly but will still take a few days for the bits to come in the post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Printer...sAAOSw0hlZNuOW

This is the easiest solution as it contains new steppers which you probably don't need but at that price too cheap too worry.

Then replace the board with the Arduino, flash grbl, play with jumpers, wire the power supply to the cnc shield and you'll be working within an hour or 2.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desertboy For This Useful Post:

As desertboy has suggested I think the easiest solution is just to throw out the motion control board and use something like that.

The machine probably will be fine for the laser and milling foam, light cutting of soft woods will probably be okay as long as you take it easy. Really is just a cheap engraving machine though rather than a router or mill.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Hi guys. Thank you for reply.
    Ok yeah I know it's a toy and only good for learning. And that's what I'm doing. Main idea is to learn gcode and how to use it etc. Project is not a big one. Its only engraving on 5mm plywood. So I guess this tiny toy is capable of doing that lol
    I am planning to create big cnc machine but that will need a lot of experience and I got a lot to learn 1st about milling and cutting by cnc.
    Thank you desertboy for your suggestion. Its actually a cheap way out. As I am newbie and trying to learn all about cnc so I am going to be pain and ask few question. I am sorry.
    What software will I have to do to run this control board. Will I able to find instructions online about flashing this board and will I have to rip the connectors of axis spindle motor and laser and put them in this board.
    Hmmm I know I m being pain but will really appreciate further help
    Thank you once again for your valuable time, you are spending to reply me. God bless you all :)
    Last edited by DesktopCNC; 01-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesktopCNC View Post
    Hi guys. Thank you for reply.
    Ok yeah I know it's a toy and only good for learning. And that's what I'm doing. Main idea is to lurk gcode and how to use it etc. Project is not a big one. Its only engraving on 5mm plywood. So I guess this tiny toy is callable of doing that lol
    I am planning to create big cnc machine but that will need a lot of experience and I got a lot to learn 1st about milling and cutting by cnc.
    Thank you desertboy for your suggestion. Its actually a cheap way out. As I am newbie and trying to learn all about cnc so I am going to be pain and ask few question. I am sorry.
    What software will I have to do to run this control board. Will I able to find instructions online about flashing this board and will I have to rip the connectors of axis spindle motor and laser and put them in this board.
    Hmmm I know I m being pain but will really appreciate further help
    Thank you once again for your valuable time, you are spending to reply me. God bless you all :)
    The arduino runs grbl so when it's running it should work with the same software as before.

If you google cnc shield arduino guide you will find some easy setup guides to get you started.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Desertboy For This Useful Post:

Ok thanks. I will have a look now Desertboy. Thank you once again

Have you verified there is power to the circuit board ?
    are there any emergency stop or limit switch inputs to the board ?

Here's a link to the board; https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...713561151.html
    maybe you do a straight swap ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information