. .
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Its hard to see and I am not picking holes but the soldering on the board does not look good. Its looks like it is balled up that is an indication of a newbie not leaving the iron on long enough for the sold to flow (common mistake) I would re flow some of the joints.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. pick away clive mate
    this is what I need so I welcome any advice mate. Before I made that sort of ball on the top I filled the hole underneath with solder, then tried to get that dome shape just for neatness, but I did fill the prong on the switch. Not to sure if I soften the solder I can do much else
    Enthusiastic with CNC stuff but a proper novice so be gentle
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    pick away clive mate
    this is what I need so I welcome any advice mate. Before I made that sort of ball on the top I filled the hole underneath with solder, then tried to get that dome shape just for neatness, but I did fill the prong on the switch. Not to sure if I soften the solder I can do much else
    Are you applying the solder to the iron and then putting it on the part if so that is wrong. You need to put the iron on the part and then apply the solder to the part and you should see it flow. Some people when learning just dab the iron but the part needs about 1-2 secs of heat depending how big the iron is.
    Last edited by Clive S; 05-07-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    ..Clive

4. No mate, I watched a few tutorials on youtube, I held the tip of the iron against the prong on the switch for a short while then placed the wire against the prong, as soon as it melted I let it fill the hole till about 3mm, then I removed the wire and slowly lifted the iron away to leave that dome shape. I was also careful to keep the end of the iron clean with a special sponge I bought from maplin. I never realised just how fiddly soldering is! and time consuming,
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    No mate, I watched a few tutorials on youtube, I held the tip of the iron against the prong on the switch for a short while then placed the wire against the prong, as soon as it melted I let it fill the hole till about 3mm, then I removed the wire and slowly lifted the iron away to leave that dome shape. I was also careful to keep the end of the iron clean with a special sponge I bought from maplin. I never realised just how fiddly soldering is! and time consuming,
    But when did you apply the solder?
    ..Clive

6. time wise? think it was about5 - 8 sec? not too sure if im honest clive mate, but when it was melting plenty seeped in
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Are you using lead free solder?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

8. No think its 60/40 lead but would have to confirm
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

9. yep its 60% lead
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The reason I asked, is lead free is a bit harder to work with, and easily results in joins like your photos.

Ideally you should be aiming for having the soldering iron in contact for less than 10 seconds. For heat sensitive components, even shorter than that.
    Process should be - clean tip to remove old solder(that's what the wet sponge is for - the flux burns of, so you want any remnants of solder wiped off), apply blob of fresh solder on the tip, hold tip against what you're soldering, as soon as the solder starts to flow onto the leg/PCB, feed in enough to get a good join aiming for the contact point between tip and component, pull solder pulled away, pull soldering iron away.

Having a decent sized soldering helps. Too small and you have to hold it on for too long to get solder to flow, too big and you risk overheating things if you hold it on too long.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information