. .
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
  1. well I have a massive update (well for me anyway)

actually got the machine to home to 0,0,0 last night. Doesnt look like much but for me this is a massive deal and big step forward to getting closer to doing some actual machining.

Here is a small vid I sent to my mate, ignore the spazzy commentary lol

Enthusiastic with CNC stuff but a proper novice so be gentle
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Well the place you have homed to is machine zero. You then jog to the corner of your part then touch off with x,y and Z this then becomes your work offset G54 where your part is actually located on the bed.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Keep at it Ravi. One small step and all that, for us novices anyway! :-)

4. Cheers lads,

yeah one step at a time andy mate

cheers clive, I will probably set the machine home to the highest z point and x,y to be the centre of the bed as the parts im going to be making will mostly be fixed down to the tooling plate around the edges, so makes sense to keep the spindle away from part? Or maybe at the rear of the bed in the middle
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    Cheers lads,

yeah one step at a time andy mate

cheers clive, I will probably set the machine home to the highest z point and x,y to be the centre of the bed as the parts im going to be making will mostly be fixed down to the tooling plate around the edges, so makes sense to keep the spindle away from part? Or maybe at the rear of the bed in the middle

I think you are misunderstanding the difference between machine zero and work zero. You are correct to have the Z home to the top then all z gcode will be negative. its nice to home the machine so that X & Y movements to the work position are +ve.

The work zero G54 is generally where you set it in CAD. So after you have homed you then move the machine to the Zero in CAD then touch off at that point. Work zero G54 can be anywhere on the table and in a different place every time if you want. The Home position is always in the same place.
    Last edited by Clive S; 07-06-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    ..Clive

6. Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding the difference between machine zero and work zero. You are correct to have the Z home to the top ten all z gcode will be negative. its nice to home the machine so that X & Y movements to the work position are +ve.

The work zero G54 is generally where you set it in CAD. So after you have homed you then move the machine to the Zero in CAD then touch off at that point. Work zero G54 can be anywhere on the table and in a different place every time if you want. The Home position is always in the same place.
    Yeah I may be getting confused, I understand that I need to tell the machine a reference datum ie zero for a part once it is jugged into place, but at the end of the program the machine to stop in a position away from where I am undoing the fixings etc if that makes sense.
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    Yeah I may be getting confused, I understand that I need to tell the machine a reference datum ie zero for a part once it is jugged into place, but at the end of the program the machine to stop in a position away from where I am undoing the fixings etc if that makes sense.
    You can just jog away after the machine has stopped. Or add the park position with a bit of gcode at the end of your file. Or set it up in the CAM post.
    ..Clive

8. Out of all that I understood:

just jog away after the machine has stopped

ha ha, still got a lot to learn mate so bare with me pal
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

9. Right chaps, now I have set the limit switches and got the thing to home.

Whats the next thing to set up??
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

10. well had a good play with the software until the early hours of this morning, and then this happened

My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread Information