. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm considering pairing these up after not being too impressed with the ucnc UC100.
    Just wondering if anyone has paired the two and if they work well together?

I have the Smartstep/3 wired directly to DB25 via the 96 way connector.

Id be interested to hear some thoughts on it

Cheers

Ben

Not being too impressed? What exactly do you mean by saying that?

What are the capabilities of that Smart steep and what machine you are talking about?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I'm talking about the Novamill. The UC100 is what it is,a cheap solution so i'm looking for something more stable.

Capabilities in what sense? Have you experience pairing the Smartstep/3 with the CSMIO/IPM ?

http://www.baldor.com/Shared/manuals/1251-396.pdf
    Last edited by Benja; 02-07-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    They could be made to work together, however I'm sure the Novamill original logic wiring voltage was 12V, and the smartstep board dropped it to 5V for the motion controller, which is why it's a relatively simple job to interface the smartstep to a parallel port.

To use a CS-Labs controller, you would have to swap the logic wiring to 24V, and wire it directly to the CS-Labs unit, and only keep the step/dir signals connected to the Smartstep.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Oh thats interesting to hear, i was under the impression whilst the unit uses 24v to operate, the step/dir signals were the nominal 5v . I'll take a look into that thanks
    Last edited by Benja; 02-07-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The step/dir signals will be 5V, but possibly differential (that might only be on the higher spec controller). If they are differential, the CS-Labs manuals show how to wire them up to single ended drives.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information